Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Dumb ass mechanic

My mechanic did an oil change on my engines today. The dumbass put Delo 400 40 wt in both engines. He is coming tomorrow to drain the oil, change the filters and replace with Delo 100. Engines were ran for a few minutes to check oil pressure. Anything In particular I should do besides firing him? I’m hoping having Delo 400 ran in there for a few minutes won’t caus severe damage
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Re: Dumb ass mechanic

Give his name so no one else uses him. Dumb shit.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

If that's the worst thing he did dont sweat it. We all make mistakes. Is he fixing it without a fight? Good mechanics admit they screwed up and fix it. Bad mechanics dont take responsibility and leave you hanging.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by RonNP View Post
    My mechanic did an oil change on my engines today. The dumbass put Delo 400 40 wt in both engines. He is coming tomorrow to drain the oil, change the filters and replace with Delo 100. Engines were ran for a few minutes to check oil pressure. Anything In particular I should do besides firing him? I’m hoping having Delo 400 ran in there for a few minutes won’t caus severe damage
    You have nothing to worry over.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

5. Re: Dumb ass mechanic

Could someone educate me on the difference. I am new to 12V71's and if I saw the Delco 400 40wt on sale on the self I probably would have bought it (I did use Rotella 40wt based on this sites recommendation). Want to avoid any future fopaux.

6. Re: Dumb ass mechanic

Look at the tab for tips & tricks here on the forum, then look at the chevron marketing bulletin.
    Beachcomber
    Former 3 Hat owner
    Home port Paducah, KY

It s a pretty common mistake. I d replace the oil but the filters will be fine.

Still inexcusable from a pro.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

8. Re: Dumb ass mechanic

I would just run it until the next scheduled oil change and use Delo 100 as makeup oil during that time.. It won't hurt anything as long as your engines aren't completely worn out and burning lube oil.
    Last edited by kelpy; 01-19-2019 at 05:27 PM.

The use of the correct oil in these DD engines is a must. the big deal is the amount of Ash in the oil. Sulfated ash makes deposits in these engines which results in excessive wear and shorter life. Delo 100 is one of many oils which meet these low ash requirements. No real harm will result from using the wrong oil for a short time. Let your mechanic change out the oil and filters and go from there. Mistakes happen, and I am sure he wont make that one again.

Have Fun, P

I wouldn't go too crazy on the mechanic. Lots of people around me use 400. There is a LOT of confusion / mis-information due to Delo 400 changing their configuration years ago. The place I buy oil from (on the water, serves lots of boaters) tried to tell me to use 400 (they have to special order 100) that 400 is what all the detroit guys use. I told them they needed to be VERY careful telling people to use that as it was now out of spec for the engines.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL