Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Number of Pilings and Spacing for 43DC

I am having pilings set at my dock to accommodate a 1973 43DC with a 14' beam. I figured 20' width between the dock and the outer row of pilings. Does that sound right? Should there be 3 or 4 pilings in the outer row?
    Attached Images
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Re: Number of Pilings and Spacing for 43DC

Here's the set up for my 41. It's in a 50' slip. 20' wide IMHO is too much. If the wind is pushing you one side to the other, that puts you 6' from the dock or the outer pilings. That's a long reach for a line unless you have bow and stern thrusters.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by SeaEric; 01-17-2019 at 01:51 PM.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Thanks. I can't get over what a pretty boat yours is.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

I would go no wider than 18 feet and use 4 per side. If your bottom is soft soil and/or water is very deep you might want to consider a dolphin (3) pile set-up for forward and aft piles - also depends on your wind exposure.

5' MLW at the end of the dock and a really soft muddy bottom. Very sheltered. It looks like 4 pilings 18' off the dock is the way to go. What is the advantage of a 3 pile cluster? The contractor is suggesting 35' driven piles. The boat lift and pilings on the left side of the dock will be removed for the new ones.
    Attached Images
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

4 pilings will spread the load better

The wider the better (reasonably) so 20’ should be good but it depends on where you are and tidal range. The more tide the wider you need.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin' View Post
    Thanks. I can't get over what a pretty boat yours is.
    Thank you. Covered shed slip makes it a little easier.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I prefer the narrowest slip that I can dock easily in. More space is more room for the boat to pick up speed and slam into the pilings during storms.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

More width allows you to set up your lines so the boat can not hit any pilings. It also allows for long bow lines in areas with larger tides. In a storm line will stretch and ifnyou don’t have at least two feet on each side it a hard to keep the boat off the pilings
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

My 43DC is in a 20 foot wide slip and Pascal is correct. No matter the weather it is never up against a piling. Some times if its really windy i have to push the bow over to reach the opposite piling to tie up . Never really a problem and when i stay on the boat its nice to not be bumping all night.

Art
    Trouble
    43DCFB DC-306
    AYC NY