I will be picking up a clamp-on ammeter somewhere so that I can follow the advice I have been given. I certainly makes sense that the pump may be drawing too much current when it kicks on.

Yesterday I tried to check the strainer for the seawater pump and found I couldn't get it open. I could easily see thorough it and it looks pretty clear, so I would guess that that is not the problem.

I looked at the pump with an eye toward what it would take to check the capacitors and although not convenient to access, I assume it could be done.

While looking over the whole system, I found a label in the PR8X pump relay box that stated that the 10 amp fuse that the box was supplied with could be replaced with a higher amperage fuse (not to exceed 20 amps) if the pump required it and if the wiring was sized correctly. Since the wiring used in this case is 10ga, I went ahead and replaced the 10 amp circuit breaker with a 20 amp unit. (Again, this is the circuit breaker I installed in the pump relay box replacing the fuse that had been there. The pump itself is on a 15 amp breaker in the panel in the engine room. Also, this circuit breaker is at a point in the circuitry where the manufacturer decided it was extraneous and had removed it from later examples of the pump relay.)

Overnight and so far this morning, the system has functioned without an issue.

I do intend to pursue determining the amperage draw even if there is no further issue with the circuit breaker popping.

Nick