Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Fuel Line Source

Quote Originally Posted by BOATER BOB View Post
    That steel wire hose in the picture is hydraulic hose and not fuel hose.Why would you need 4000PSI hose on a fuel line?Get a new line made up that's diesel approved and your good to go.
    Bob
    I wondered the same thing however as stated above I went to 3 hydraulic shops and non of them had the hose where it could be used with re-usable fittings. The hydraulic shops all looked at the ends and said their fittings would not match the thread patterns on the re-usable ones I have. Their hose would not fit my connections either. Since every hose on both engines use these fittings I would rather change the hose only than re-tool all my fittings to fit the new hoses. Plus with the re-usable fittings I can keep some of the hose on board and if I have a leak at sea I don't have to go to a shop I can repair at sea. This is probably why someone put this type hose on at one point. I really like this as it frees me from being tethered to a hydraulic shop but I need to keep hoses on hand.

I looked up the Parker 201 that the trucking company sold me and it is good for diesel however its black. I would rather stay with blue to match the others but I can live with it. I would prefer to find a rubber coated Stratoflex type hose in blue but at least I am back going now.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I wondered the same thing however as stated above I went to 3 hydraulic shops and non of them had the hose where it could be used with re-usable fittings. The hydraulic shops all looked at the ends and said their fittings would not match the thread patterns on the re-usable ones I have. Their hose would not fit my connections either. Since every hose on both engines use these fittings I would rather change the hose only than re-tool all my fittings to fit the new hoses. Plus with the re-usable fittings I can keep some of the hose on board and if I have a leak at sea I don't have to go to a shop I can repair at sea. This is probably why someone put this type hose on at one point. I really like this as it frees me from being tethered to a hydraulic shop but I need to keep hoses on hand. I looked up the Parker 201 that the trucking company sold me and it is good for diesel however its black. I would rather stay with blue to match the others but I can live with it. I would prefer to find a rubber coated Stratoflex type hose in blue but at least I am back going now.
    Carry some push fit hose ends, some unions and a length of hose. You can cut out about any leak and get out of a jam. You could, for example, bypass a leaking fuel cooler. Having less than a full set of hoses will only ensure you have the wrong spare.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Make sure the hose is also USCG approved!
    It will be marked right on the hose.
    The above mentioned Parker 221FR is rated USCG (and it is blue in color).
    You can get useable fittings for this hose series.

The fittings in the first of this post string are re-usable not crimped/swaged.
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia

Here is what you need. I cut it with a hack saw. The fittings screw on. Type A1, SAE 1527 aeroquip FC234 brass plated steel mesh reinforced.
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 01-16-2019 at 03:25 PM.

Thanks Tim & Dottie. That is the information I am seeking. I should be able to find sources with this information

specialty hose and fabrication in gulfport ms. keeps the aeroquip hose in stock if you cant find it closer. i seem to remember a hose place in harahan that carried the aeroquip stuff but that was many years ago. maybe hoseguys??
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

If anyone else needs this information I found a source and it does state it is good with reusable fittings

https://hosewarehouse.com/fc234-08-a...ma-bia-fc234-8

Flush it well after cutting. make sure theres no metal particles in the hose or yours going to screw up some injectors.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Thanks for the tip Scott. I will do that. I ordered 5 feet from the listed source. I only need 18" but this will give me extra in case I find another bad hose.

Also another thing I learned in this search is the fuel hose is fire rated. Regular hydraulic hose isn't. This is probably why the USCG A1 rating is required, just my guess. It lays on top of the engine and I was worried from the get go about using standard hydraulic hose for this. I couldn't read the numbers due to the spray paint but could tell it was a special hose
    Last edited by Briankinley2004; 01-16-2019 at 11:11 PM.

Be sure to run diesel through the hose prior to installing it (if you cut it with a hack saw) It rinses out the metal fines from cutting it.