Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fresh water pump options

I am looking for recommendations on brand fresh watetr pumps in 12v. I have thought about converting my 32v galley maid to 12v but not sure. I was on defenders website and see they sell the groco paragon @ 7 gal min. I have done a google search and really only see the cheaper jabsco or flojet not really what I’m looking for. Any input would be great. Thanks Pete
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

Re: Fresh water pump options

This is crazy expensive but a great pump, Headhunter's X-Caliber DC Water Pressure Pump.

http://www.headhunterinc.com/product...ressure-syste/
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

I have never used the headhunter DC pump but their products are top of the line. The AC Mach V while a little tricky to bleed is near silent with great flow and pressure We also have their heads and 220v macerator on thrnboat i run. Bulletproof. Excellent customer service too
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    This is crazy expensive but a great pump, Headhunter's X-Caliber DC Water Pressure Pump.

http://www.headhunterinc.com/product...ressure-syste/
    OMG that is crazy high. They must be fabulous.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I have a 120v cast-iron well pump. Three-quarter horsepower motor and adjustable pressure for around $100.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by davidwigler View Post
    I have a 120v cast-iron well pump. Three-quarter horsepower motor and adjustable pressure for around $100.
    If I were inclined to go the AC route, that is probably what I would do as well. I don't understand the need of putting a $1300 AC pump in one of these. I understand that the DC pump might be expensive, given the voltage and that such pumps are limited to boats, but AC pumps are cheap.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Marco marine water pumps are a really good alternative to the cheap plastic rubbish made for smaller boats. Come in a number of flow rates. Extremely well designed and made.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/marc...mp-m164-681-12

keep the GM and add a an AC shallow well pump with valves for a redundant system. we have that and it works great. rarely use the GM.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

I have an AC shallow well pump. Think we used 1/2hp and have more than enough water pressure. I did not go with cast iron due to corrosion concerns. I went with the flotec composite pump.

Was very affordable and has worked great for about 1.5yrs.

There was a 1.5hp pump installed in the boat when we got it. It didn't last long but I could not for the life of me figure out why it would need a 1.5hp pump....? What's the though process behind this? I mean the sizing of a shallow well pump generally has to do with the depth of the well. In the boat the 'well' is only about what 2' deep?

The 1/2hp pump seems to have plenty of flow, have never felt that we needed more flow/pressure.

I do have a 32v dc wire in the compartment, and would LOVE to have a dc failover pump but the cost of 32v water pumps is just a little much.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 01-16-2019 at 12:11 PM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Keep the GM pump.

If you want a lower cost or back up 32 Volt pump consider this:
    Flojet 04325-443 (32 VDC)
    in stock $298 at:

https://www.pumpvendor.com/Flojet_04325-443.html
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE