Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)

View Poll Results: Which Bridge Extension Option do you like best?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Option 1 - Do nothing, you're an idiot for even thinking about this.

2 6.45%
  • Option 2 - Floor Only Extension

12 38.71%
  • Option 3 - Wall and Floor Extension

14 45.16%
  • Option 4 - Curvy Bottom Gal

3 9.68%
  • Option 5 - Curvy Gal

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Bridge Extension Design Vote!!

Option 2 makes the most sense for a boat that's run hard. Less issues with cracking at the transition points of the new parts. The boat will twist and crack things up there.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Agree with #3.

Please no radii.

Scott. you are no fun!

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Number 2 for me. I think extending the sides makes it look more like a Maritimo, which is not a bad thing, I just prefer the Hatt look and I like the way the floor juts out in the back. Such a great looking boat btw.
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

Option 2 makes the most practical sense to me. But it's really what do you want.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

This poll could not have come at a better time for me. Mine is an 85 60C, and after building my pilothouse, (in the style of the Destin charter fleet), I'll do a similar extension. These mock-ups are very helpful. My opinion is that the additional radius under the extension does not fit with the lines of the superstructure. For mine, I'm thinking of keeping the ladder as it is, and constructing the extension around it. Then, just build rails to safeguard the hole at the landing. Can't wait to see the result of your project. Great looking boat!

I like option #2. Clean, simple, and maintains those great Hatteras lines!

Cool Re: Bridge Extension Design Vote!!

Hey while your at it don't forget to add 5' to the cockpit you need more room to fish.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BOATER BOB View Post
    Hey while your at it don't forget to add 5' to the cockpit you need more room to fish.
    Bob
    Actually the cockpit on this boat is HUGE. Is one of the primary things that drew me to this model. It was the only boat in it's class that had space for a mezzanine.

Here is an exert from David Pascoe on the 52

The cockpit is humongous. Bigger than it needs to be it is, perhaps, one explanation for why this model was not a bigger seller. It appeals very well to the serious tournament man, but to the less avid who have other ideas in mind such as social occasions, he's likely to turn elsewhere.
    The cockpit on the 52 is 160 Sq Ft. HUGE for a 52'. Compare that to a modern Viking 65 (13' longer boat, 2' wider) which has a cockpit size of 179sq ft.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

I prefer #3 but not enough to justify the extra work required to 'git 'er done'.

I vote #2.

Is there a safety factor of going with #2 and not having 'walls' on the corners of the bridge? A little slip could put you overboard pretty quickly there.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL