Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Empyting air sep crap cans

My old mechanic installed a pair of air box crap cans on my 12v71TI. They are now full and leaking/blowing oil out of them. Whats the best way to drain these things?
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Re: Empyting air sep crap cans

I use a funnel, an engine diaper with a hole punched in it, and leftover large soda bottles, like 2 liter. Put the neck of the bottle through the diaper, funnel in the bottle and pour the contents of the crap can into the bottle. The bottles go to the oil recycling tank at the local landfill. Or tot he garage that works on my cars.

I don't see a drain plug on the cans. Only see two tubes where the oil is going in the can. Is this a situation where you have to unbolt the cans off of the motor to drain?
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

The plug is the entire left side end of the can, which is a rubber expansion plug held tight by the central bolt. Mine were easy to unbolt from the motor, so I took them off, took off the top and poured the sludge into an oil recycle barrel at my marina.

Thanks!
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

A bit easier to use a suction gun. Remove breather filter and suck it out. Less mess.

Very poor design. I guess the designers were tired and it was a Friday afternoon and they said what the
    heck, it's good enough....

Walt