Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Mobile Al through the Panama canal.

Buncha sissies. I'll be 62 in October and just have one question...

When do we leave?
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Okay, now that I've been semi-serious, let's get real serious. That bridge is nothing more than a fiberglass shell that will ride nicely on the deck. Been there, done that, although not with that particular boat. Just label everything and it'll be fine.

As for equating half a loop trip to this one, regardless of where your boat may have developed problems on that trip, you wouldn't have been faced with coming into a foreign port. Well, maybe parts of Alabama, but most of those boys speak English.

I'm all about adventure and new water, but I think I would have to give this one some serious consideration, given the size and range of your boat. If nothing else, plaster a few MAGA and NRA stickers on the hull to confuse the pirates. A no-hitchhikers sticker may be a good idea too.

I actually kicked around the idea of making that trip in reverse when I was looking at a Hatt on the west coast several years ago, and the first rule of business was to have a Spanish speaking crewmember onboard. As with Mexican restaurants in the US, it's not mandatory, but it'll help you understand the pirates... both legal and illegal ones.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Spellbound View Post
    Mike —- Have made the trip twice, departing FLA (both times) traveling thru Bahamas past Eastern Cuba to Jamaica (fuel/rest) to Colon (await passage) thru Canal staying Panama City and later heading up the coast to Costa Rica. Great adventure, different each time, good people at every stop, would do again without hesitation with the appropriate boat. That being said the first trip was on a 72’ Jim Smith cruising 25 kts daylight hours, chugging night taking us 8 days to reach Panama City with stops in Bahamas, Jamaica and Colon. Second trip was a 61’ Viking with a SeaKeeper chugging straight to Jamaica staying a day, chugging to Colon and finally to PTY taking almost 9 days as we arrive 2 a.m. PTY. As mentioned “Bucket List” trip, not easy, must be extremely well prepared and IMO Not a trip this route for a 37’ Hatteras.
    Spell
    Thank you much for your input. As you have made the trip I truly value your thoughts.
    From all the feedback I'm thinking maybe I'll revise my plan.
    Now I have a question. While in Mobile I saw a 65 ft 71 Halmatic that is for sale. Decided to look into it. Carries 2700 gallons of fuel. beautiful well kept vessel. This is what got me thinking about the Canal. Couldn't make a deal. On to my question. How much fuel did the 72 ft Jim Smith burn while cruising at 25kts? I'm told the Halmatic would cruise at 20 kts with a range of 700 miles. Had a pair of 3408 cats at 800 HP. That's burning some serious fuel.

We calculated 75gph @ 25 kts including generator. Actual was slightly better than calculated allowing us to transit the canal refueling in Panama City. Listed fuel capacity was 2000

Forgot to add that the engines were Cats 3412E, 1400hp, a very efficient package for that boat

The Halmatic sounds like a really nice boat. Some of them were Hargrave designs, like Hatteras yachts of the time.

If it were me. I would leave the 37 C on the east side of the Rocky's and buy another for west coast cruising.

Easy peasy and probably cost less stress & $$.

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    If it were me. I would leave the 37 C on the east side of the Rocky's and buy another for west coast cruising.

Excellent idea...... Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post

Are the "Rocky's" close to the Adrian's?

I had to do it.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    The Halmatic sounds like a really nice boat. Some of them were Hargrave designs, like Hatteras yachts of the time.
    It was a Hargrave design. beautiful boat. Wish I had the spare $75K.
    Just a little background as I know it. Original owner bought a bigger/newer Yacht didn't want to be bothered with selling it and felt tax break would yield enough of a return.
    Called old friend and current owner to advise charity. Current owner paid $22,500.00 a few days later. Very nice gentleman.
    I have been aboard the boat and it is well kept and maintained. Still available on yacht world.