Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Mobile Al through the Panama canal.

I can't comment on the cruising conditions from Mobile to the Panama Canal but we cruised the entire Mexican Coast, including the Sea of Cortes for a span of 10 years. From a security / safety issue I would have no concerns about Mexico. The biggest safety / security issues we heard about from fellow cruisers who did transit the Canal were Eastern Honduras and Nicaragua. Once you get to Huatulco in southern Mexico there are anchorages with fuel and repair facilities available no more than 275 miles apart. Before that I could imagine that fuel availability could be an issue. Frankly, however, I'm not sure if I would want to do even the Huatulco to San Diego run in a 37 ft. vessel with limited fuel capacity. Of special concern would be the stretch from Cabo San Lucas to San Diego which often is a nasty uphill run with 35 - 40 knot winds and seas on your nose. We cruised on a 48 ft. stabilized LRC that weighed 60,000 pounds and was built like a fortress and still opted to have a delivery captain take it "home" for us so we would not have to do he "Baja Bash". Including fuel and the cost of a captain and crew that cost was around 15K from Puerto Vallarta to San Francisco. IMO it would seem that selling you vessel in Mobile and buying another in San Diego would make the most sense. About 7 years ago we got a quote of 22K to have Freedom shipped by Dockwise from La Paz to Ft. Lauderdale.

There was a blog of a 65 that did the trip years ago. I dont remember where to find it but it was interesting.

I have friends who have done the canal and would not want to from their stories. Its not an easy passage, not a comfortable place in the world and not easy to get services.

In a small boat its not realistic. Put it on a freighter and let it be someone else problem.

If I had the time and budget to take a trip that long I would probably hit the eastern Caribbean and the US east coats and fish everywhere I could.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

So you saw the sarcasm in the first one...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMck View Post
    Do I sense a bit of sarcasm in there? :{)
    But completely missed the sarcasm in this one...

And the names and locations are exactly what I am looking for.
    I think our members need to cut back on the subtlety.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

If you are not in a hurry and can have the ability to stay in certain locations for periods of time til you have a good weather window I see no real reason NOT to do the trip.

As for the security and 'war zone' areas I have no clue on them. I do know that every year lots of sportfish boats make the trip to get to panama or costa rica for the winter marlin fishing, then they come back to the gulf in the spring. I've never heard of them having an issue. Lots of sail boaters make the trip as well. If sailboaters can make the passage going 4knts with a 4cyl perkins I'm pretty sure you will be fine with twin High HP diesels.

Doing the canal trip is on my bucket list, so I hope to get through there someday.

If you treat it like a delivery, it may not be fun and you could get in a hurry. If you treat it like an expedition and enjoy the ride, stop at some places along the way (possibly for extended periods) I see no reason why you shouldn't do this trip (assuming the boat is in good mechanical condition and you are properly prepped for such trip). How awesome would it be to bounce from panama to costa rica then up to the baja. Hell I could spend months/years just cruising/fishing those areas.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 01-14-2019 at 10:06 AM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

According the guys I know running the sportfishing boats they would rather ship them if possible.

Unless they fish up and down both coasts it's too much time plus wear and tear to just relocate the boat.

Also they seem to he 60 plus footers with modern power, full crews and a maintenance program for the engines.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Well I got detained by the Colombian Army in Cali and the Chilean Navy in Valpairiso and released both times (once with an apology and once with a ride to the airport). Me and a buddy were lucky to get away after we dragged his friend out of a whore house full of locals in Bum F#$&, Chile (Chile was a rough trip that time). And came very, very close to a witnessing the summary execution of the hombre below who clubbed and (temporarily) robbed a buddy of mine near the town of Buga, Colombia. It was very close that he wasn't killed on the spot.

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 12.26.28 PM.jpg
    We dropped him off with the local cops. At first, they were on us because he was all tied up and somewhat damaged. When they discovered we were with the son of their El Presidente, they beat the hell out of him right on the street. Never knew how that turned out.

That's me field dressing the wound about 35 years ago.
    Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 12.36.57 PM.jpg

So yeah, south of the border is not always as safe as, say, Chicago or maybe DC.

SITUATIONAL AWARENESS, DISPERSIBLE DOLLARS and LUCK are essential.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Well I got detained by the Colombian Army in Cali and the Chilean Navy in Valpairiso and released both times (once with an apology and once with a ride to the airport). Me and a buddy were lucky to get away after we dragged his friend out of a whore house full of locals in Bum F#$&, Chile (Chile was a rough trip that time). And came very, very close to a witnessing the summary execution of the hombre below who clubbed and (temporarily) robbed a buddy of mine near the town of Buga, Colombia. It was very close that he wasn't killed on the spot.

Attachment 29715
    We dropped him off with the local cops. At first, they were on us because he was all tied up and somewhat damaged. When they discovered we were with the son of their El Presidente, they beat the hell out of him right on the street. Never knew how that turned out.

That's me field dressing the wound about 35 years ago.
    Attachment 29716

So yeah, south of the border is not always as safe as, say, Chicago or maybe DC.

SITUATIONAL AWARENESS, DISPERSIBLE DOLLARS and LUCK are essential.
    And now this thread is getting on the right track. Do you have an address of that house in Chile? Asking for a friend.

And now this thread is getting on the right track. Do you have an address of that house in Chile? Asking for a friend.
    I don't. But at the Guadalajara Hotel in Buga, Colombia I $20 bought two girls for a seventy something guy with us as a joke. Turns out it wasn't a joke and they earned it. Of course, adjusted for inflation that comes to ...
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

If it were my boat and it was my goat to get it to CA. I would take the flybridge off and buy a truck and trailer that would haul it used of course there are hundreds out there drive it there then sell the truck and trailer in Ca.Done deal just a smaller adventure.
    Bob

Mike —- Have made the trip twice, departing FLA (both times) traveling thru Bahamas past Eastern Cuba to Jamaica (fuel/rest) to Colon (await passage) thru Canal staying Panama City and later heading up the coast to Costa Rica. Great adventure, different each time, good people at every stop, would do again without hesitation with the appropriate boat. That being said the first trip was on a 72’ Jim Smith cruising 25 kts daylight hours, chugging night taking us 8 days to reach Panama City with stops in Bahamas, Jamaica and Colon. Second trip was a 61’ Viking with a SeaKeeper chugging straight to Jamaica staying a day, chugging to Colon and finally to PTY taking almost 9 days as we arrive 2 a.m. PTY. As mentioned “Bucket List” trip, not easy, must be extremely well prepared and IMO Not a trip this route for a 37’ Hatteras.