Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Mobile Al through the Panama canal.

A lot of the big 50’+ sport fish routinely make the trip to Costa RICO and back. Coming up the west side is the problem long open stretches with no protection. I remember when Roscioli was making the 65 Donzi’ one was abandoned on the run up the west side because the weather was so bad. They were rescued by a freighter. Plus So America right now is pretty much a war zone. I wouldn’t want to be a gringo down there right now.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Pull the flybridge and put it on a truck. Dont try that run in an old 37 without a buddy vessel to get you home safe.

750 gallons will hurt the seaworthyness of the vessel. It was not made for a run like that.

Either truck it or ship it but dont put your life and others at risk.
    There are great marinas and mechanics all along that route, especially Nicaragua and El Salvador, that can supply fuel and fix the boat when she breaks.
    Last edited by jim rosenthal; 01-12-2019 at 05:28 PM.

I agree that if you do it (I don't recommend it) be sure it's for the adventure....and I'm sure there will
    plenty of harrowing moments or hours. Way too many safety issues to cope with. If you want some
    great adventure and a great adrenaline rush try sky diving here in the USA. It's probably ten times safer
    and really exciting...

Walt

Don listen to the naysayers at 65 your old and don’t have much time to lose. This could be a great final adventure.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Don listen to the naysayers at 65 your old and don’t have much time to lose. This could be a great final adventure.
    How the hell old are you?!?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

If you go, get an agent. noonsite.com is a forum for circumnavigators and worthy to explore. Had a friend look hard at this with his sailing yacht, and ultimately passed.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

As I read through the posts I get the impression the consensus of the group thinks this is not a good idea.

This little adventure was just in the thought and preliminary planning stages. Figured if I was going to spend $25K or so I should have some fun doing it.

One posted an idea to run to Fla and fly in for my boating. This is somewhat of my secondary plan. I still do some consulting on the west coast so may end up staying in Fla and flying in for the consulting. Should I choose that path I would probably spend a year or 2 playing around in the Keys then selling the boat and replacing on the west coast. The 4 grand children are all in the southwest so would like to share my boating with them on the west coast.

A few suggest having the Flybridge removed, Cradle made and shipped by truck. I have to believe that would be cost prohibitive as the boat can be replaced on the west coast for $35 to $45K. Yes I have considered. 1 with low hrs on her 671N Detroit's and another repowered with 6CTA's in 2018.
    Again I want to thank all for sharing your thoughts and input.
    Mike

It appears of those responding nobody has made the trip for what ever reasons but have shared legitimate concerns. I was hoping to hear from someone who had made the trip.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Do I sense a bit of sarcasm in there? :{)

Quote Originally Posted by tom5518 View Post
    There are great marinas and mechanics all along that route, especially Nicaragua and El Salvador, that can supply fuel and fix the boat when she breaks.
    And the names and locations are exactly what I am looking for.

As I read through the posts I get the impression the consensus of the group thinks this is not a good idea.

This little adventure was just in the thought and preliminary planning stages. Figured if I was going to spend $25K or so I should have some fun doing it.

One posted an idea to run to Fla and fly in for my boating. This is somewhat of my secondary plan. I still do some consulting on the west coast so may end up staying in Fla and flying in for the consulting. Should I choose that path I would probably spend a year or 2 playing around in the Keys then selling the boat and replacing on the west coast. The 4 grand children are all in the southwest so would like to share my boating with them on the west coast.

A few suggest having the Flybridge removed, Cradle made and shipped by truck. I have to believe that would be cost prohibitive as the boat can be replaced on the west coast for $35 to $45K. Yes I have considered. 1 with low hrs on her 671N Detroit's and another repowered with 6CTA's in 2018.
    Again I want to thank all for sharing your thoughts and input.
    Mike

It appears of those responding nobody has made the trip for what ever reasons but have shared legitimate concerns. I was hoping to hear from someone who had made the trip.
    Mike