Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Mobile Al through the Panama canal.

Well as trucking my 78 37C from Mobile Al. to San Diego is just not economically feasible. On the truck height is close to 16 ft.
    For what it would cost me to truck it I can run the Canal.

Now the catch. Fuel stops along the way. How to map them out? Obviously will require fuel bladders in cockpit and foredeck. Should give me 750 gallons. 500 mile range. I just don't know if that will cut it.

Anybody made a trip through the canal? Point me to link to anybody that has or resources for planning?

Real early stages of thinking about it. I would hate to sell her in Mobile. Just finished a 2000 mile journey 3 great lakes and the river system to Mobile.

Mike

Re: Mobile Al through the Panama canal.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMck View Post
    On the truck height is close to 16 ft.
    Is that with the flybridge taken off? Back in the day they shipped these boats all over via the highways.

Did you look into putting it on a freighter, or using one of the yacht transport services like Dockwise?
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Not willing to pull the flybridge off. Back in the day Hatteras would just add the ground transportation to the price of the boat. Same math does not work on a 40 year old boat.
    Putting it on an ocean transport would exceed the ground transportation cost. Tried using Joule yacht transport. $11K if under 15ft loaded on the trailer. Over 15 ft. $25K. Due to additional pilot car required and route being 500 miles longer.
    Last edited by MikeMck; 01-11-2019 at 10:23 PM.

Pull the flybridge and put it on a truck. Dont try that run in an old 37 without a buddy vessel to get you home safe.

750 gallons will hurt the seaworthyness of the vessel. It was not made for a run like that.

Either truck it or ship it but dont put your life and others at risk.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Pull the flybridge and put it on a truck. Dont try that run in an old 37 without a buddy vessel to get you home safe.

750 gallons will hurt the seaworthyness of the vessel. It was not made for a run like that.

I'm 65 do I have to make sane decisions? :{). I understand your point but I might point out I can follow the coastline the entire route. Not much different than my last 2000 mile trip through 3 great lakes and multiple rivers dodging barges the entire way.

Also understand the buddy boat concept. My last trip was 1/2 the loop and buddy boats were a natural occurrence.
    Until I know distances between diesel stops I'm not sure how much fuel will be required.
    Your advice is sound but if I can run 300 miles between fuel stops it was made for trips like that.
    Too many unknowns at this point for me to make any decisions.
    Your input is appreciated and not taken lightly.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post

There are great marinas and mechanics all along that route, especially Nicaragua and El Salvador, that can supply fuel and fix the boat when she breaks.
    Last edited by jim rosenthal; 01-12-2019 at 05:28 PM.