Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Furrion "AI Powered" Yacht

I would christen thee "HAL 9000".

https://newatlas.com/furrion-adonis-smart-yacht/57977/
    Scott
    1976 43DCFB ,Hull #428, “Exodus”
    Long Island, NY

Re: Furrion "AI Powered" Yacht

How would it fair if lightning strikes it?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Wonder what happens with the first good taste of salt water on all those electronics and sensors? Good luck to them, I prefer KISS!
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Interesting that such an intelligent boat still has huge windows in the hull side, down near the waterline.

I've seen this trend more and more at boat shows. since openings in the hull structure make it weaker, it seems an un-intelligent way to build a boat.

But what do I know, with my old analog headpiece.

This boat reminds me of a modern Audi- lots of trick stuff in it, and a great vehicle to lease while the warranty is still in force. Turn it in the day before the warranty expires, and make it someone else's problem. Because it will attack your wallet with a vengeance.

Most boats today are electronic nightmares waiting to happen. No avoiding it over time in salt water air. Then as a hand me down at some point they will have zero value as no one can fix them up anymore.

Just last night I turned on an interior ice maker Dave said did not work on 1982 Esperanza. After years of non use it still works as a freezer at least. Super simple and sturdy stuff.

Those days are truly gone. Four outboards with drive by wire? Joe lunchbox (that's me) could never take that on as DIY eco cruiser.

When you can drop $10 million on a boat maintenance is not a factor. You buy a new one every 3 to 5 years and get a trade in off the price to save on taxes.

It's not our place in the market.

As to being the poor schmucks who get them later in life that's a decision many of us wont make.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Most of the larger Hatteras yachts have four electrical systems- 120vac, 240vac,12vdc, and 32vdc. I had the impression that modern boats had 24vdc and 240vac, with some 120 vac circuits for lights and home appliances, etc. I thought that was a move in the right direction. But I think a boat that depends on a central computerized system to keep everything running is a move in the wrong direction.

I work in a place that depends a great deal on multiple large computer systems which not only have to talk to each other, but to their human servants. Breakdowns are a daily occurrence. There are so many workarounds that we use all the time that we don't even think about them anymore. Middle of the night crashes are a frequent occurrence, as well as poorly time maintenance hiatuses (hiatii?) And I can always walk out of work and get into my analog vehicle and drive home. That won't be so easy when you're offshore in a boat that decides not to participate in running, for one reason or another.

I'll stick to my mechanical diesels and my analog boat, thanks.