Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: bottom job tips for a new owner

Quote Originally Posted by dsharp View Post
    I don't think he's talking about removing the barrier coat or whatever product they used after repairing the blisters. He's just asking for an opinion about bottom paint and any additional work while hauled out. To answer his question, You always want to check the running gear and thru hulls. You may want to re-pack the rudder stuffing boxes while hauled out. On some of the motor yachts they can be a challenge to get to. I would ask other owners in the area to hopefully find a yard that you can trust as well as which paints work well for the area. You also want to replace the zincs. Soda blasting is not aggressive enough to remove or break open any blisters.
    Sorry, seems like the original post changed from when it was originally posted. The original post said something to the effect of 'im sure i'll be finding more blisters'...etc
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

If you had the bottom pealed, barrier coated and painted two years ago, all you should need is pressure wash the hull and paint. You shouldn’t have to sand or soda blast.

The yards will probably try to push Propspeed they all do and I always decline even in the boats I run on somebody s dime itvs too expensive and if like us you operate in shallow sandy water like the Bahamas it will get sandblasted pretty quickly. Now for a sportfish that mostly runs offshore it may make sense...

In sofl we need to get a diver every month anyway so they may as well clean the running gear.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

So to clarify. I had the bottom pealed, faired and painted with SeaHawk AF33 black. Its held up pretty well. A diver scrubs the bottom monthly. I don't expect to have blisters. Someone asked the cost to peel. It was approximately 6k for 65'. Obviously the cost to fair and paint was extra. Do you guys suggest staying with the same SeaHawk paint or is another suggested for sofl?

Re the props; one of the divers commented he was surprised the props were not painted.

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    So to clarify. I had the bottom pealed, faired and painted with SeaHawk AF33 black. Its held up pretty well. A diver scrubs the bottom monthly. I don't expect to have blisters. Someone asked the cost to peel. It was approximately 6k for 65'. Obviously the cost to fair and paint was extra. Do you guys suggest staying with the same SeaHawk paint or is another suggested for sofl?

Re the props; one of the divers commented he was surprised the props were not painted.
    Did you have a few layers of barrier coat before the bottom paint?
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Yes. Just not sure which brand.

When you say faired, I assume you mean the area between the original gelcoat and laminate where the gelcoat is peeled. (1/8th inch or so). if so, do you remember what was used? Sorry to bother but I can see this process in my future and it helps to understand the path of those that preceded me!

Tom

I'm not sure about the product. When i get hauled out i will ask the marina if they keep a record.

Shayne, if this bottom paint is working for you, use the same one. Many times different brands are not compatible and you end up with a peeling mess down there and then you have to get all the paint off and start over. Generally a bottom paint which works in one geographic area will continue to do so. Now, if you move the boat permanently, you might have to change.

I can only speak to paint choice once you get the blister issue sorted out. I'm on a 63 MY here in Ft Lauderdale which cruises about 12 knots tops. The consensus I've heard is Micron Extra is the preferred paint.

I think Cable Marine is where I'll have the work done. They bid $2950 for hauling, pressure wash and 1 coat of ablative. $1650 for stabilizer seal service and another $1650 for prop speed which I will decline.

I'm going to stick firm to just bottom paint and stab seals. They may hit me $67/hr for stubborn barnacle removal not knocked off by pressure washing but that's to be expected. My diver tells to the bottom is in good shape except for the very bottom of the keel has no paint. (must have plowed a sand ridge somewhere)

PS: It's been 18 months since my last bottom paint application. Curious how frequently other MY boaters in S. FL get hauled & painted.
    Last edited by Passages; 01-15-2019 at 11:32 AM.

If it's working I wouldn't change.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL