Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Trip down the California coast

After you turned around, where did you end up? Weve made that trip (SF to SoCal) 6x in our then 58yf (niads) and it can really be nasty and viciously unpleasant. When i read about your trip and when you planned to go, I checked the fcst. Given what I read, I wouldnt have passed the Gate. As it looks now, there isnt a good window (if youre running 9-10kts) for another few weeks..

We took the boat back to my marina slip in Stockton. 300 mile round trip, only 1 boat buck in fuel.
    I'm going to try to take it down again on the 25th of January. I'm a liveaboard and recently changed jobs. I hate staying in hotels but a hotel for a week is better than being on the bottom of the Pacific. Going past the Gate was not fun at all. Big Props to Scarlett/John for piloting through the swells. I had been piloting all night and just wasn't up for it.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Hard to tell from video, but swells 12-15’ SW and wind waves directly S made boat corkscrew.

The 63 has a pretty high bow (8-10’?) which we were stuffing every wave (and worsening). Had to drive feet braced to helm.

Had a buddy coincidentally bringing a 43’ race sailboat from LA to SF and they reported to me following winds 10-gale. They *flew* up in 48 hours! It took my 52C at 14.5 kts. 43 hours in the past by comparison.

Looking forward to next attempt!

DAN