Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Trip down the California coast

This Saturday Rusty aka Seven, John aka Scarlett, Dan aka Drburke and I will begin an almost 400 mile trek from my marina in Stockton California to my old marina home in Oxnard. We will have a 90 mile journey up the San Joaquin River to San Francisco where we will go under the Golden Gate bridge into the Pacific and then take a sharp left turn and head south. We will pass Monterey Bay, the Pacific Coast Hwy with the Hurst Castle in view, Morro Bay, Vandenburg Air Force Base and then take a dog leg once we reach Point Conception. It's then an easy 50 mile voyage past Santa Barbara, Ventura and then Oxnard.

The weather this week in Northern California has been awful with Gale warnings/50 mph wind gusts and 18 foot swells in the forecast for the next day or so. Rusty has a house perched on a sea cliff south of San Francisco. He's been letting me know that the ocean has been looking angry the past few days. Saturday the winds will die down to around 5 to 7 kts but the swells are still around 11 feet based on the forecast. I have a feeling the Hatteras will do fine with the Naiads although there is sure to be a bit of rolling as the swells are coming from the west and we are heading south.

Wish us well. We will take pics along the way and post.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Re: Trip down the California coast

Watch out for mudslides. Bon voyage
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Sounds like an awesome trip. Have a great time and be safe.

Score 1 for the weather and score 0 for me and the crew. We got close to 150 miles south of my initial marina before the weather became way too nasty for even a Hatteras. We were contemplating sheltering in Monterey Bay 40 miles further south but it made zero since as the weather forecast was predicting Gale conditions the next day further south. The 10 to 13 foot swells came directly at you from the south as the wind kicked up to a steady 20 mph with gusts to 30.

We made the executive decision to turn around and try another day when the weather God has a more favorable outlook on the Pacific Ocean. I"ve never been seasick in my entire life and on this trip I had to take nausea pills. Thanks Dan and John for helping me pilot the boat. We missed Rusty but hopefully we can get him on the next ride down south.
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

On the backside of the flu and look forward to the next trip. Call me with some possible dates. I have annual meetings and trips to Texas during the next two months.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Any pictures of sea conditions. Maybe with another boat to show scale.of how sloppy your seas were. L

Any pictures of sea conditions. Maybe with another boat to show scale.of how sloppy your seas were. Love pics or video of bad weather. Watch all on YouTube that I can see. By the way, I read that some participating fisherman in deadliest catch got on the wrong side of a bar and sadly all perished

https://youtu.be/Zcqlz22FtT8This was the easy part going home. Boat has Naiads but we were still being tossed around
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Nice video, didn’t know you were taking it, looks worse in video than it felt in person but I guess that is why I was a little afraid of making the turn when we turned around. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I've been watching the weather, (Mavericks was huge, for those of you that are surfers) and wondering if you were even going to attempt it.
    We all love Hatt motoryachts, but they aren't the most seaworthy boats in the world, I would have stayed in port in a big sportfish, maybe even a well found trawler based on the forecast..
    WindyTY showed the waves @ 40ft. You vid is flat calm compared to 40ft, but still.....
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331