Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Re: Cockpit Mezzanine & Tuna Tube Winter Project

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    The boat looks really good and glad to hear how happy you are with it. Just out of curiosity what was your budget for the paint and how close were you staying under or over it?

Thanks
    Walt Hoover
    Thanks for the complement!

lol, i try not to think about budget anymore .

Originally when we only planned on doing mezzanine and baitwells our budget was $25-$30k. Adding the bridge extension was a decision made after we got into the project and was not factored into the original budget.

If you total up everything we've spent over the last 1.5yrs on the boat including yard time, rental house for the workers and myself, food, water, drinks...etc it's gonna be right at $100k. Of course we did a LOT of additions/projects/incidentals that were not in the original scope, like spending $2k on heavy duty screwless rod holders, several $k on getting the fighting chair pedestal and spider setup and installed, stripping wallpaper and painting both heads, full bottom job, running gear, underwater lights...etc.

The actual money spent on the paint budget was pretty low. We probably have $2k in actual paint and non-skid. We did all the prep ourselves and hired a pro painter to come in and shoot everything, his bill was around $1k.... but we spent weeks priming, sanding and prepping before he got there.

Things we went wildly over budget on were really the small things like mixing containers, tape, gloves..etc. Wish I had bought them by the case from day 1, would have saved thousands of dollars and considerable time chasing down supplies. Nitrile gloves, used more than I could have ever imagined, coupled with the corona virus during this time made it VERY hard to come by gloves and we had to pay a premium price for the ones we could find. So instead of $7/box at harbor freight we were paying over $20/box wherever we could find them.

Same goes for dust masks, filter cartridges for my 3m masks, these basically became un-obtainable by the end of the project and we did lots of work with mask cartridges that were well beyond their useful life. We also had to share masks, which I absolutely HATE doing (especially during a global pandemic lol, sorry WHO), but given the circumstances it was our only option.

We spent hours/days chasing down these supplies and having to pay a premium for them whenever we could actually find them.

Tape and masking plastic/materials were another item i wildly under budgeted. I probably have several $k in tape and plastic and paper board for masking areas.

If you remove all the incidentals and extra projects that got folded into this time period, the cost for the mezz, baitwells and bridge extension are probably somewhere in the $60-$80k neighborhood
    Last edited by rustybucket; 10-22-2020 at 04:22 PM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    Bay seatrial after splash, light on fuel and water.

2350rpm = 22.5 knts
    2300rpm = 22 knts
    2000rpm = 20 knts
    1950rpm = 18 knts
    1900rpm = 17 knts

Loaded heavy, full fuel, full water, full gear...etc for multi-day fishing trip, 3' head seas with a 10knt head wind.

1950rpm = 16 knts

Fuel burn at 1950 loaded heavy seems to be somewhere in the 45-50gph neighborhood.
    Thanks for the info. Been kicking around the idea of moving up. The 52's I've looked at all have the 892's still so was wondering about speeds etc. Very similar speeds to my 46. My fuel burn is a little better but that is to be expected I guess with the additional 6' of length etc.
    Jason
    Orange Beach, AL
    1984 46C

Quote Originally Posted by pdog View Post
    Thanks for the info. Been kicking around the idea of moving up. The 52's I've looked at all have the 892's still so was wondering about speeds etc. Very similar speeds to my 46. My fuel burn is a little better but that is to be expected I guess with the additional 6' of length etc.
    My 52 has twin 600hp 892's, which appears to be the lower end of what they offered with the 52. It has enough power, definitely not underpowered, but i really feel like 800hp per side would be about perfect for this hull. Lots of the later 52's had 725hp/side and should have better cruise and top end.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Rusty you went full in, and then some, on the projects so why stop there, 1,000HP per side.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Rusty you went full in, and then some, on the projects so why stop there, 1,000HP per side.
    Agree 100%! Would love to see that.. jaja

Awesome, keep the pics coming.

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    My 52 has twin 600hp 892's, which appears to be the lower end of what they offered with the 52. It has enough power, definitely not underpowered, but i really feel like 800hp per side would be about perfect for this hull. Lots of the later 52's had 725hp/side and should have better cruise and top end.
    Ok. Yes the ones I've looked at have had the higher horsepower. Anybody got any idea on actual cruise speed fully fueled etc
    Jason
    Orange Beach, AL
    1984 46C

Buckets should be 650hp. The later slant window boats were lightened up with a cored hull also. I believe they got another 3-4kt cruise but it seems that the higher hp engined were problematic. I have to wonder if the wet liner 92 series can’t handle the extra heat.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Well... I said the hull would do good with 800hp per side, I NEVER said that's what I would put in lol. 1k hp/side min if/when we repower. That type of power would really modernize this boat considerably.

Hopefully I won't have to worry about that for many many years, but in the back of my mind, there's a part of me that would LOVE to see what the 'ol gal would do with 2k hp!
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Long time back I saw performance numbers on a 52c with 900 hp yanmars. I'm not sure you want 1000. It may require some additional structural changes.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.