Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Re: Cockpit Mezzanine & Tuna Tube Winter Project

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Going to be a great project, not sure but I might be the only one here that's added a full mezzanine from scratch.
    We started by ripping out very nice fiberglass cockpit lockers. What made our storage part really work was cutting the deck out allowing extra depth.
    I'll pm you my contact info, I'd really like to chat about it. But if it's ok with you I'd like to discuss as much as possible here so others can maybe benefit from it?

I was not planning on cutting the floor up, but you've got me thinking that might be a good thing to do. I'm not sure exactly how much height it will gain me, but if it gains 6" or more it would definitely be worth it.

I see you built yours out of ply (great photos by the way, I just looked at all of them). I will likely be building mine in-place on the boat. Working with wood sure would make things easier.....

Plywood has an R value of approx 1. Nidacore has R value of 3.3. So if insulation is a deciding factor Nidacore wins hands down. Of course nidacore is exponentially more expensive than plywood, but for this project we won't need a ton of material so cost difference should only be a couple hundred dollars....
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Great Project!! Cricket, your boat looks awesome. For 13 years, I had custom boats, and just sold my last one for a 2008 60 hatt GT. They all had mezzanines, and are totally worth the price to get it right. I had one compressor for a freezer, one for a ice maker that would dump out into one of the holds of the mezzanine. Not sure a separate one is necessary for the drinks alone. For one, try to keep the numbers of compressors down to a minimum, as they will/do break. Use a good insulation material for drinks, and dump the ice in to keep them cold.

What is your plan for engine room access? The way you have it drawn looks like it will be too tight. It is a pain trying to get equipment, buckets, out if not big enough. Are the in deck fish boxes not big enough? You might find it's tough having a big enough fish box as part of the mezzanine. One cool combo on one of my boats was a rounded compartment on one side of the mezzanine, that was maybe 2.5' diameter, 3 ft depth, used as the ice dump/livewell. We transferred all ice prior to using the live well. Was a good space saving idea.

I wouldn't use Vikings for comparisons, as their mezzanines are very short from back to front, not very comfortable. Track down a custom boat and get the measurements from that.

Here is a photo of my last custom boat's mezzanine, and my new to me Hatt GT's (the camo wrap has been removed, lol)

http://i64.tinypic.com/2vjrklj.png

http://i63.tinypic.com/2cfei43.png

Last edited by Wiredup62; 01-07-2019 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiredup62 View Post
    What is your plan for engine room access? The way you have it drawn looks like it will be too tight. It is a pain trying to get equipment, buckets, out if not big enough. Are the in deck fish boxes not big enough? You might find it's tough having a big enough fish box as part of the mezzanine. One cool combo on one of my boats was a rounded compartment on one side of the mezzanine, that was maybe 2.5' diameter, 3 ft depth, used as the ice dump/livewell. We transferred all ice prior to using the live well. Was a good space saving idea.

I wouldn't use Vikings for comparisons, as their mezzanines are very short from back to front, not very comfortable. Track down a custom boat and get the measurements from that.

Here is a photo of my last custom boat's mezzanine, and my new to me Hatt GT's (the camo wrap has been removed, lol)

http://i64.tinypic.com/2vjrklj.png

http://i63.tinypic.com/2cfei43.png

Engine room access is going to be tight but doable i think. Engine room access on this boat isn't the greatest to begin with. We will only be removing about 8-10" of the actual engine room access door. I've considered putting a step-down in and may still do it but the engine hatch would have to gull-wing open if I do that.

This boat really doesn't have what I would call in-floor fish boxes. The aft compartment is a tub but it is un-insulated and needs to be able to be removed to access trim tab and steering equipment. the other two hatches lead straight to the aft bilge.

According to my calculations we should end up with approx 15" of height inside the mezz fishbox. Although that is not great it is at least workable for all but the largest tuna. We could reduce the bottom or top insulation and get another inch or two.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

This is how I did mine on my 53c. Maybe there is something there that can help you.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by harnett View Post
    This is how I did mine on my 53c. Maybe there is something there that can help you.
    Is that ER access from the unfinished panel? You have a pic of it open by chance?

REALLY like the way your ladder is landed on the face of the mezzanine also. Did you have the ladder fabricated from scratch?
    Last edited by rustybucket; 01-08-2019 at 07:21 AM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    This is kinda the layout we are going for. Of course we won't have teak and it won't be this nice, but it def will not be a bubba job.

NICE! I Have the same boat mine is a 1984. I can see some delam. on your engine room door. Mine is a mess, as is the salon door. Any ideas on what you will do to fix them? I found a 30X74 mobile home storm door that fits perfectly and will install it while I try to figure out what to do with the original door.

Yes that is the engine room access door. I did have to move the rear fuel tank back a little on the 53c to make that work. The ladder done that way makes for a very gradual ladder to the bridge and allow plenty of room behind it to use the mezz. seat. I was custom made.2012_01_04.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by harnett View Post
    Yes that is the engine room access door. I did have to move the rear fuel tank back a little on the 53c to make that work. The ladder done that way makes for a very gradual ladder to the bridge and allow plenty of room behind it to use the mezz. seat. I was custom made.Attachment 29594
    Wow, well done! Did you fabricate storage inside/below the long 1st step?

I'm still working on the lids but yes there are storage bins built into the long step and there will be three lids. I insulated the bin in the step at the door and that is a cooler. I'll post pictures when it's all done.

After talking with several people and hashing it out ourselves I think we are leaning toward a split level mezzanine with the starboard side raised higher than port. This accomplishes a couple of things...

1. When seated on the starboard bench your feet will be able to touch the floor
    2. Gives us fishbox space for jumbo tuna or multiple smaller
    3. Gives us 4 refrigerated boxes.

On the downsides....
    1. It makes the engine room access even trickier, not exactly sure what we are going to do here yet.
    2. Original plans called for all existing cabinets and lockers to remain in place. With the split I'm thinking we are just going to be ripping everything out.
    3. Engine room ventilation. This project will basically cover the cockpit engine vents. May be able to re-route this ventilation under the cockpit? or may have to install hull side vents (like slane) in the future.

This is the current rough-mock up of where we are. I'm going to go to the boat this weekend to re-install the outriggers (been off for detailing) and am going to mock up the mezz with tape and foam insulation so I can really get a feel for it. Will also mock up what the engine room entry will be like and what we will need to do to make that usable.

SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL