Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Re: Cockpit Mezzanine & Tuna Tube Winter Project

Soooooo happy with the way things are turning out. So cool to see all the projects coming close to their ends.

Chestnut, the project supervisor!
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

The baitwells and tuna tube wells got some gelcoat love as well!

SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Your supervisor looks angry with you..... were you eating lunch and not giving him any?

Any idea why your props turn inboard?

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...-prop-rotation
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Any idea why your props turn inboard?

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...-prop-rotation
    lol, I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that! It's actually one of the factors that helped us choose the name 'SOUTHPAWS'. The boat is left handed, and my wife and I are left handed also.

Opposite rotation was not done on purpose, it was quite a mistake. When we purchased the boat both engines were fresh off rebuild, sitting on pallets next to the boat, clearly labeled 'port' and 'starboard'. Like an idiot I took those labels as fact.

So we hired a crane to drop the engines in. The evening after the crane left I was admiring our fine work, very proud of our accomplishments and tidy work and wanted to check the oil in the engines.... that's when I realized the dipsticks were on the outboard sides of the engines.... major oh-shit moment ensued....

That night I could hardly sleep, the thought of having to hire another day of crane operator @ $3k/day made my stomach hurt, but then I thought, well, the dipsticks are easy just swap them inboard, but what else could be affected by it....? That night I stayed up til 3 or 4 am reading articles and studies on prop rotation theory and my conclusion was that having the engines reversed was not a big deal really, lots of race boats actually do it on purpose. It's supposed to be more efficient and faster, but slow speed handling would be affected. How much it would be affected was the million dollar question.

So the decision was made to proceed as-is and have the engines in on the wrong sides. We had to re-route some raw water lines and move dipsticks on engines and trans but other than that it really wasn't a big deal.

The biggest difference I can tell is low speed handling. It's not that it handles bad, it's just different. I can still make the boat do anything I want it to do, you just have to slightly adjust your mind to get there. I can actually make her crab walk sideways in low wind/current situations.

Many marine gears can spin backwards, sadly my allison mh20's cannot do that. But if we ever upgrade to twin disc's with trolling valves we would then be able to set prop rotation back to normal if we wanted.

So, that's the story of how we put the engines in on the wrong sides lol.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 04-13-2020 at 01:14 PM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Sorry for the lack of updates, lots of movement on the project lately, can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel!!

Final primer has been sprayed on the dash, bridge extension and the baitwells. Next weekend the Mezzanine will get the same love. Things are looking amazing!! Very happy with how things are turning out. The grey primer in the pics is high-build slicksand. The white is awlgrip 545.

Before anybody asks, yes the primer is whiter than hatt white. The final paint color is imron in hatteras white, which was the original paint the boat was painted with.

After everything has final primer, we will lightly sand everything with 400 and then 600 grit in preparation for final paint.

SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Rusty, getting everything into 1 color, even primer, is such a boost. Looking good, almost there.......
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Rusty, getting everything into 1 color, even primer, is such a boost. Looking good, almost there.......
    Thanks Holden! It is definitely nice to see things in 1 color finally lol. We are on the home stretch now, starting to put into motion all the other haulout projects on the list. Installing 15 underwater lights and an underwater camera, trim tabs needed some love and a couple fresh coats of bottom paint. She's gonna be a pretty sweet sled when we are done with her.

Thanks again for all your feedback and guidance early on in the project!
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Really great looking job. Gonna have to take a look at it someday.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC