Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Re: Cockpit Mezzanine & Tuna Tube Winter Project

We fish a lot of dead baits. Bally squid mullet. Don’t really want to be rigging this stuff in the salon unless you want it smelling like a Ft Pierce brothel
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    I just went from beginning to end, AMAZING!! So jealous of your ability to develop and implement some of these customizations.

Just out of curiosity, and I hope this is never the case, but have you considered how a repower or out of frame overhaul would play out?
    Thanks for the compliment, it's been a huge learning curve and I've been VERY fortunate to have a few very knowledgeable people help educate me along the way. Whenever I start questioning my sanity I give one of them a call and they walk me through it, worth it's weight in gold to have an advisor on the project. In the planning phase lots of people here on sams helped guide me in the right direction, and some (cricket i'm talking about you) greatly expanded the project by making me do the bridge extension lol.

Absolutely have considered repower actually. When we bought the boat the engines were fresh off rebuild sitting on pallets next to the boat. So we actually installed the engines after purchase, so, you could say I'm intimately familiar with that process lol.

The cockpit window and door were removed, and the aft wall was cut in three places. All three of those seams remain in-tact and can be re-cut in the same place should the situation arise.

In a nutshell, none of the work we are doing will impede the path of the engines in/out when that needs to happen. I seriously hope this old gal is around long enough to see multiple repowers!! Boat is solid as a rock and no doubt could easily out-live me.

I'd love to drop a set of 1k hp mtu's in the old gal someday! but hopefully that is FAAARRR in the future lol.

Wonder what kind of cruise/top end speeds I'd see with 2k total hp rather than 1200hp?
    Last edited by rustybucket; 11-04-2019 at 10:48 AM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    We fish a lot of dead baits. Bally squid mullet. Don’t really want to be rigging this stuff in the salon unless you want it smelling like a Ft Pierce brothel
    FOR SURE lol. We have a cutting board that sits on the gunnel for that kinda stuff. We use it for chunking blackfin, and rigging any dead baits. Indoors area will be primarily for rigging lures, leaders...etc, clean things that can be done inside...etc. We spend lots of time underway, good time for making up some rigs.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 11-04-2019 at 11:20 AM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Hello, its looking great. Have you decided which grill you are going to install or is that in the future.

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    Hello, its looking great. Have you decided which grill you are going to install or is that in the future.

Walt Hoover
    While I could def still be swayed this is what the current plan calls for

Kenyon B70061 240v

https://www.amazon.com/Kenyon-B70061...01197578&psc=1

SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    worth it's weight in gold to have an advisor on the project.
    did you have knowledge of all the materials you used and how to use them prior to the project? I know you did some mods to your Ocean but I can't recall if it involved coring/glass/etc. My 55' has a decent size fishbox in the transom already and a decent livewell in the cockpit floor, I don't feel a need to enhance any part of those. For fish that don't fit in the killbox I have two large fishbags. My target mods would be building a mezzanine and larger tackle storage, but Cricket has done well in convincing, not only you, but myself and the admiral, how beneficial the bridge extension is. I can' tell you the number of times I've been cussed while she was trying to maneuver behind the helm seats. I hope you retain your knowledge well, you never know when you may become that advisor
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

I installed one of those Kenyons on my old boat . Mine was the two burner type though. I found it very difficult to clean as everything falls thru the grate and ends up in the bottom of the units box frame. I replaced the elements so often that I finally ended up keeping a spare onboard. Also had to rewire it and replace the t stat. I would not get one without the lid as it loses heat quickly if there is any wind. Also be careful with the install as anything comes near that t stat/ switch it will turn on. Mine was installed in a counter top and got turned on a few times when we did not want . Make sure you have a breaker very close to kill power to it. I was nice for slow cooking though...Hope this helps........Pat

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    did you have knowledge of all the materials you used and how to use them prior to the project? I know you did some mods to your Ocean but I can't recall if it involved coring/glass/etc. My 55' has a decent size fishbox in the transom already and a decent livewell in the cockpit floor, I don't feel a need to enhance any part of those. For fish that don't fit in the killbox I have two large fishbags. My target mods would be building a mezzanine and larger tackle storage, but Cricket has done well in convincing, not only you, but myself and the admiral, how beneficial the bridge extension is. I can' tell you the number of times I've been cussed while she was trying to maneuver behind the helm seats. I hope you retain your knowledge well, you never know when you may become that advisor
    I slowly got my feet wet with west system epoxy over the last 5 years. Mainly small projects like patching screw holes, fixing scratches/gouges..etc. I did a soft spot repair on the bridge of the 38 ocean using epoxy and nida core as well.

I was initially planning to do these projects with epoxy as well until I was told by someone way wiser than me how stupid and expensive that would be lol. I was then introduced to vinyl ester resin, which at first was honestly very intimidating to me. I was so used to 1 pump of each can of west system that the talk of percentages of catalyst was pretty intimidating. But after watching someone work with the materials for 1 weekend I had a very good grasp of what was going on.

After a few layups you really get used to the material and honestly I only think I would use epoxy on very specialized projects now that had certain strength requirements. After getting used to working with vinyl ester it is 2000% easier to work with and faster to work with than epoxy.

Honestly I have a tough time understanding why epoxy is so popular now. IMO vinyl ester is by far an easier (and far cheaper) material to work with for projects like these.

Epoxy did teach me all about fillers and I have carried that knowledge over to vinyl ester and it has come in handy. So I would say epoxy is a great starting point and learning stepping stone, but if I had to do it all over again I would have made the jump to vinyl long ago and saved thousands over the years.

I'm more than happy to share any knowledge I have, that is part of the reason I keep this thread up, I know I learned a lot over the years by following along on other people's diy threads. Was hoping this would help share the love!

Just be careful! It's addictive!!
    Last edited by rustybucket; 11-05-2019 at 12:23 PM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Rusty, you're right vinylester is perfect for most of your current/big parts/projects. We like epoxy for the superior secondary bonding properties for repairs, especially when working with anything wood related, and also for under the waterline repairs. You're also right about how easy it is to just make a pump from each can to fix something.
    When we hauled the boat last weekend one of my guys started joking around that we could have been half way through a cockpit extension for the time we put in fixing the water tank. Next thing you know the notebook was out and we made an outline for what it would take to do the job, everything in vinylester. The biggest question was to cut off and use the current transom or cut it off at deck level and build an entire new transom and then would the new transom be flat or curved like the current transom. I said straight because the teak cover board would be a lot cheaper and then quickly went home before the idea progressed further.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Check out the videos on You Tube under “Boatworks Today” he does some tests on panels he made using polyester and Epoxy resins, it is very interesting and he uses Polyester for many projects. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.