Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Re: Cockpit Mezzanine & Tuna Tube Winter Project

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Haven’t been following your thread lately. Just took a look. Wow! I congratulate you on your progress and your vision. Takes guts to go that deep into a remodel of that magnitude. Looks really nice.
    Thanks Robert! It's been an experience for sure. While I'm kinda ill it isn't done and we aren't fishing, at the same time I look back at how much we accomplished in such a short time and it's kinda amazing. At worst I figure it's a year of suffering for a lifetime of enjoyment lol. At least that's what I keep telling myself.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Rusty, what are your painting plans? Btw, ever time you post pics I still can't believe you went for all 3 projects at the same time. Feel like a sissy the way we did ours 1 winter at a time, bridge floor/overhang extension then mezzanine then hardtop extension.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Rusty, what are your painting plans? Btw, ever time you post pics I still can't believe you went for all 3 projects at the same time. Feel like a sissy the way we did ours 1 winter at a time, bridge floor/overhang extension then mezzanine then hardtop extension.
    Don't feel like a sissy lol, you guys are just way smarter than me!!

We were going to haul tent and spray but we've kinda missed our window for that now. I think the current plan is to prime then roll and tip it with one or two coats once all projects are done and then we will plan a haul tent/spray for the fall or early spring of next year.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Stainless Steel welders are amazing craftsman! Never seen it up close and personal and I'm amazed. The handrail, ladder and bridge extension supports/handrails are all done and look amazing. They look better than I ever dreamed they would. As a bonus I got a crash course in polishing stainless, which might end up being a curse lol. I've def got to polish the rest of the handrails and ladder now. Can't have half bright and shiny and the other half dull lol.

*disclaimer: The handrail legs are not bolted down in the pics, they have been left loose so we can finish fairing up top. So if they look crooked in the pics that is why, they are not in final position.

SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

The bridge feels HUGE now

Was really nice to put a checkmark next to a finished project! Up this coming weekend is final glassing of baitwells and building of the cockpit floor hatch.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 06-03-2019 at 10:07 AM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Your fiberglass work is top shelf. I was wondering what material you used to make the fillets in your molds. It looks like it goes on and smooths out really well.

She rides much better on plane. Forget rolling around at hull speed. That boat was made to run 20+ kts.

It wont hurt the engines and I bet 1800 rpms is moving close to 22.

By the way. No one ever bought a 46 hp to go slow. It's a great boat on plane.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

It looks great. Can't believe you guys did this yourselves, and IN THE WATER. Just top flight work.

Know what you mean about polishing metal- next thing you know, you've worked your way around the whole boat.

Quote Originally Posted by harnett View Post
    Your fiberglass work is top shelf. I was wondering what material you used to make the fillets in your molds. It looks like it goes on and smooths out really well.
    Thanks! I wouldn't call it top shelf, but I'm definitely getting closer to that. I've been really blessed to have some true craftsmen open up and show me their trades which has really helped me along the way.

Bondo is what is used to make the mold fillets, smoothing and shaping. At first I started with Walmart bondo, then got my hands on some 3m platinum stuff. Both worked well, the 3m stuff was definitely smoother.

The real key, that took me a little to fully understand is to work it WHILE it's curing. if you wait til it's done curing it is hard and can only be sanded, which is slow and a pita. If you work with it as it hardens you can use wood rasps, cheese graters...etc.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL