Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Re: Cockpit Mezzanine & Tuna Tube Winter Project

All I can say is ​WOW!!!!
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

The weather man was calling for a tropical storm, so I headed down to the boat just to check on everything and make sure all was good. Figured I'd stay on the boat Fri night for landfall and come back home Sat as it was forecasted to blow HARD fri night and rain all day sat/sun/mon. Well....

Our top gust friday night was about 5knts and sat morning was just a light drizzle, which would clear by 10 or so. So... instead of heading home we got to work!!

Focus of this short work period was to rough in the upper Mezzanine and get the main structure designed and glued together. This area would be built with 3/4" coosa and feature 3 'compartments'. The mid-ship compartment would be primarily for deep drop weights and lure bags. Basically fishing stuff that is too large/heavy to fit anywhere else. The starboard side would be divided in two, with the port side being an area for storing dock lines, the port side would be for gaff/harpoon storage with a 'holder' of some sort to hold harpoon darts and flying gaff heads.

So, this is what we started with, basically a blank canvas.

Front wall, top and raised lid lips (to keep it dry) installed.

Flying Gaff and Harpoon Dart holding apparattus

SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Was dark when we finished up and we were ready to get outta there so no great pics of the finished product.

The decision to re-use the existing lids (that we removed during demo) Is going to save quite a bit of build time. Also, it keeps the boat looking more natural and original I think.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Got a chance to sneak away to the boat this weekend to get started on the cockpit tackle storage center which is located on port side, on top of the new bait freezer.

First order of business was to bond in the foam/divinycell lid of freezer / floor of tackle center. We also bonded in all the coosa pieces that the hinges will be attached to. Buckets are filled with anchor chain, or water, or whatever we could find that was heavy.

Then we molded in a toe kick to connect the gunnel to the floor. We used 4" pvc cut at 90 degrees as the core/backer for the toe kick. Think it works out to a nice size/shape for a toe kick.

It was on the chilly side all weekend, so everything we laid up had to have the heat lamps put on it or it would have taken all day to cure. Kinda a PITA but thankful for the ability to use the heat lamps to kick it off.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

One of the big discussions we have been having since almost the beginning of the project is how to handle the door/drawers of the tackle center. I am a fan of no door, just straight drawers, b/c when you're fishing and in/out of the tackle center the door is just an extra step in your way, swinging around, getting in the way...etc. My brother and mate all wanted a door, which would open to reveal drawers. Their argument is that drawers are never really water tight and all our tackle and expensive tools get wet/spray...etc.

I can agree with their argument, but also with mine.... So thinking outside the box I have decided to build a custom slide out hideaway door. The tracks will be 1" stainless angle iron. The sliding mechanism is going to be 3/4" stainless tube.

Basically the door will open and slide back into the port side of the tackle center. Magnets will hold it in place both open and closed. The idea/concept is when we are fishing it will always be open. When we are running/cleaning or it is raining it will be closed. When we are at the dock it will be closed and locked.

If this experiment is a total and complete failure I'll just put a hinge on it and we will have a normal door. lol.

So here are a couple pieces of the track system. The resin will be sanded off the track in this pic.

Due to the cold slowing us down, we didn't completely finish this project but we got almost all of the parts built for it. Next trip down we should be able to final assemble and glass it together.

The top drawer is going to be a grill. Then below the grill will be tackle drawers.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

The cutout on the side is going to be a switch panel (and possibly digital display someday) for cockpit lighting, baitwell/tuna tube pumps, underwater lights...etc. Basically give whoever is in the cockpit control of everything without having to go down below to engine room or ask the capt to turn something on/off.

SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    One of the big discussions we have been having since almost the beginning of the project is how to handle the door/drawers of the tackle center. I am a fan of no door, just straight drawers, b/c when you're fishing and in/out of the tackle center the door is just an extra step in your way, swinging around, getting in the way...etc. My brother and mate all wanted a door, which would open to reveal drawers. Their argument is that drawers are never really water tight and all our tackle and expensive tools get wet/spray...etc.

I can agree with their argument, but also with mine.... So thinking outside the box I have decided to build a custom slide out hideaway door. The tracks will be 1" stainless angle iron. The sliding mechanism is going to be 3/4" stainless tube.

Basically the door will open and slide back into the port side of the tackle center. Magnets will hold it in place both open and closed. The idea/concept is when we are fishing it will always be open. When we are running/cleaning or it is raining it will be closed. When we are at the dock it will be closed and locked.

If this experiment is a total and complete failure I'll just put a hinge on it and we will have a normal door. lol.

So here are a couple pieces of the track system. The resin will be sanded off the track in this pic.

Due to the cold slowing us down, we didn't completely finish this project but we got almost all of the parts built for it. Next trip down we should be able to final assemble and glass it together.

The top drawer is going to be a grill. Then below the grill will be tackle drawers.
    There is never enough tackle drawer space. Most tackle centers have a couple little drawers that are no where near enough if your a serious fisherman. I have a large tackle locker with large drawers. The problem is when your rigging up running out the drawers start creeping open and will dump on the deck if you can’t slam the door quick enough.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

IDK I’m the type of guy that has multiple banks of snap on tool boxes in my garage. I been on million dollar Sportfish with tiny tackle centers you couldn’t put 3 hoochi skirts in. Clear the inlet and here come all these tackle boxes all over the deck. Reminds me of friends that dump their tool boxes all over the garage floor looking for a wrench. I just can’t work like that.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    There is never enough tackle drawer space. Most tackle centers have a couple little drawers that are no where near enough if your a serious fisherman. I have a large tackle locker with large drawers. The problem is when your rigging up running out the drawers start creeping open and will dump on the deck if you can’t slam the door quick enough.
    The drawers will have latches, so will snap closed, and will be on heavy duty drawer slides so even if they open all the way they won't/shouldn't dump.

I def feel you on storage space! In addition to this tackle center we will have drawers on the rocket launcher, and a lure bag and deep drop weight storage under the mezz couch.

We are trying to utilize every available inch of storage space possible.

Also, inside the cabin we are converting the L settee to a countertop with drawers, primarily with the intention to keep rigging and less needed tackle. The end goal is to be able to long-distance cruise/fish with this boat. So I'd REALLY like to have a rigging table inside the boat for use when underway or at the dock.

The drawers are going to be the full width of the opening you see in the pics, literally consuming every possible inch of space. Thinking 2 x 4" talls, 1 x 6" and 1 x 8". All the drawers should be approx 18" wide and will probably setup dividers inside of the shallower drawers.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 11-04-2019 at 10:01 AM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

I just went from beginning to end, AMAZING!! So jealous of your ability to develop and implement some of these customizations.

Just out of curiosity, and I hope this is never the case, but have you considered how a repower or out of frame overhaul would play out?
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears