Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Re: Cockpit Mezzanine & Tuna Tube Winter Project

Ladder will be moved aft to clear mezzanine so entire bench seat is usable. Also bridge will be extended as needed.

Last edited by rustybucket; 01-14-2019 at 09:44 AM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Personally the first thing I’d want to change is the salon door opening into the cockpit
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Personally the first thing I’d want to change is the salon door opening into the cockpit
    What would you change about it?
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    What would you change about it?
    I’d either make it a slider with a pneumatic opener or have it open inward. If you were ever in the cockpit hit by one of these open out doors you’d know why.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    I’d either make it a slider with a pneumatic opener or have it open inward. If you were ever in the cockpit hit by one of these open out doors you’d know why.
    A pneumatic or automatic would be nice, maybe a down the road project.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

On my 45C the door was changed by one of the previous owners from the old sliding design, tha apparently is not very good, to open inward. I don't like it, I'm planning to change it to open outward in the future. In my cockpit, the fly bridge ladder is on the port side and my intention is to have the door open towards that side, so it won't tecnically block anything.

Obviously, an automatic sliding door would be awesome, but pretty expensive as well.

Regards,

JCG

Awesome idea adding the cockpit additions. I have the same boat you do and I have wanted to same additions. One of the reasons I wanted the additions was engine room access. I looked at one of my neighbors newer boats and his was a gull wing design the was in same loaction as ours but when the er door opened it included the seating area and step up from cockpit. Almost made a steps from ER instead of vertical ladder. Our current opening a 5 gallon bucket is a tight fit, but my real challenge has always been batteries. I would rather have access to get in and out easier, Im not a small guy. Just a thought.

I keep hearing that the engine room access is bad on a 52c.
    Is it possible that different doors, hatches or ladders were used through the years?
    I think access is more than acceptable on our 1989 52c.
    A full 5 gallon bucket is easy fit, an 8d battery goes down easy, it does take 2 able bodies but no clearance problems.

On another cockpit note, has anyone hinged the loose cockpit hatches that we all have.
    It would be great to access the bilge without picking up a heavy hatch and leaning up against the side of boat.
    All new sportfish have hinges and gas shocks, I would like to do the same thing but not use exposed hinges.

Past the point of no return!!

Ok guys, the deed is done.... my brother and I met at the boat last weekend and took saws and grinders to the ol gal. Was a little more unsettling than I thought it would be lol. We could have gone fishing but instead we took her out of commission for a few months lol.

Snapped this last pic just before we started hacking.

Removing lids, tubs, inserts, hinches and hardware.

Let the games begin!!
    Last edited by rustybucket; 02-14-2019 at 09:37 AM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL