Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grills

Grills

Good Morning!

I have a much smaller Hatt than most of you so space is a premium. Looking for a good quality I guess propane grill to put back towards the transom so I can cook up a couple NY Strips when Im on the boat for the weekend. Any good recommendations would be appreciated. I dont want to buy junk. I know my grilles/smokers for the home but I'm not so educated with the models that we can use on our Hatts.

Re: Grills

I am partial to Magna Grills. You can buy them at defender.com

So... we have been in the same boat as you. I've had several of the magmas and kettle grills over the years and honestly they all kinda sucked. They all flamed up, burned food, dropped grease on the floor...etc. Not to mention having to deal with propane, flame, smoke, where to store it...etc. Overall the food from them was marginal and the hassle was HUGE

This go-round i had decided we were going to get an electric grill like a kenyon, but after talking with several capts/mates that had them we were less than impressed.

So, kinda just as a last minute solution to 'get something in there' we ordered a flatop electric griddle/grill from amazon. We installed it as a drawer in the cockpit and I gotta say.... it's probably the best thing we've ever done on the boat. The flexibility of what can be cooked on the flattop is awesome. I don't think we have turned the stove on since we got it. Everything gets cooked on it.

Stir-fry, steaks, chicken, street tacos, flatbread pizzas, not to mention fantastic breakfasts....etc.

We are still dialing in what we can cook on it, but we keep frozen chopped onions, peppers, stir fry mixes, veggies...etc. Then we keep bags of cooked/roasted meat in the freezer. Straight from the freezer to the griddle can make a massive amount of food in a very short time with little to no mess/cleanup. We also have a rice cooker on the boat, so we cookup a batch of rice daily and use it in some type of stirfry that day.

This is not the one we got, but pretty close to it. They come in all sizes, just have to figure out which will fit in your space.

https://www.amazon.com/PNR-Counterto...6787958&sr=8-6

Couple pics of ours

Last edited by rustybucket; 07-20-2021 at 09:44 AM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Wow...making me hungry....at 2500 watts that has to be pushing 20amps right? Any issues with heat and your boat? I guess Im asking if you have some sort of a heatshield? I guess I'm paranoid...and this paranoia would be with the propane version too. Like how its mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackman View Post
    Wow...making me hungry....at 2500 watts that has to be pushing 20amps right? Any issues with heat and your boat? I guess Im asking if you have some sort of a heatshield? I guess I'm paranoid...and this paranoia would be with the propane version too. Like how its mounted.
    So after cooking we leave the grill out until it cools down, then just push it back in. At the back of the drawer there is a switch that cuts the power to the grill when it's closed. So even if someone closed it with it on, it would shut off.

Even if you closed it hot, I doubt there would be any damage. However, if it got closed and was on I'd imagine after some time it would def cause damage.

There is no issue with heat above the grill, even with it screaming hot to sear fresh tuna!

We had an open breaker (hot water heater converted from 240 to 120) so we just used that slot with a 20a breaker.

It is def VERY nice just to close the drawer and get it completely out of the way. A couple of my previous magma grills died early due to saltwater exposure down in the bilge under the cockpit.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 07-20-2021 at 10:07 AM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

I have had the same barbeque for 12 years now on my boat. It is made for the marine environment and it does well in windy conditions. I use a 20 lb propane cylinder but it works just as well on smaller cylinders including the 1 lb disposable ones. Parts are readily available and easy to get directly from the manufacturer. while it is a small BBQ, with a bit of planning, I have cooked for 10 people on it at a time.

Check out "Dickinson Marine Spitfire 180" The price in Canadian funds is $513 (about $402 US$). Extremely well made, with high quality parts.

I have no connection or stake in the company. I'm just a satisfied customer.

Mark
    Lake of the Woods
    1989 40 DC, Hull #377
    Last edited by lake of the woods; 07-20-2021 at 10:48 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Don't you still get grease splatter on the boat ?

I have a Kuuma Stow 'N Go 160 that I've had good luck with. We use the rod-holder mount, but it has foldable feet so you can stand it on a surface as well. I'm sure it has the same issues with splatter and flare-ups that any open flame grill will, although I can't really say it's been bad for me. If it really becomes a problem, buy leaner burgers.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Personally, I don't grill on the boat. But, I do grill nearly every night I'm onboard. I've bought two table-top Nexgrill units from HD for about $110/ea.; they stay on the dock. When traveling, they'll sort of fit in a plastic tub which I contractor bag. Rusty's rig is about perfect if you can incorporate it as he's done. That notwithstanding, I prefer to keep the mess on the dock. The Nexgrill is neither marine grade in construction nor price. They're good for about two years sitting out or a bit longer if you paint the faux SS.

IMG_1797.jpg
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Jackman View Post
    Good Morning!

I have a much smaller Hatt than most of you so space is a premium. Looking for a good quality I guess propane grill to put back towards the transom so I can cook up a couple NY Strips when Im on the boat for the weekend. Any good recommendations would be appreciated. I dont want to buy junk. I know my grilles/smokers for the home but I'm not so educated with the models that we can use on our Hatts.
    I’ve been using a Weber Q grill on a magma cutting board for the past 4 seasons with great results. Grilling on the boat with back yard results.
    Jim
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    1989 41c Hull# 881