Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Re: Cockpit Mezzanine & Tuna Tube Winter Project

Watching this closely. WOW.

Got a few things done this weekend. Got both transom baitwells final prepped and bonded into place. Was a little chilly at night so the bonding took approx 24hrs to cure, so we weren't able to get as far as I had hoped, but alas, cannot change the weather.

SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Everything turned out absolutely rock solid, and we still have quite a bit more bonding and glass work to get them fully integrated.

SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Will be heading down this weekend to work on the bridge extension. With the addition of the mezzanine the ladder needs to be moved aft a bit. It will also be very nice to have more shade in the cockpit.

We had a little time this past weekend to do some exploration and mocking up of the extension.

The bridge will be extended approx 24" aft.

When seated on the mezzanine couch there will be a flip-down 32" tv in front of you (the blue square hanging down in the pics).

When seated on the mezzanine couch there will be two 19" tv's directly above your head which will be viewable from the cockpit.

All tv's will be fold-down and be housed in molded recesses in the bridge extension.

Any tv on the boat will be able to view any video source. So in the cockpit you could have the garmin unit on one tv, engine room cams on the other and college football on the other, or any combination thereof.

We will also be adding a couple of speakers and recessed LED lighting to the extension.

The mock up's above are very rough and just done to give us a good idea of what we would be working with. We will be building a mold in-place to mold the bottom of the bridge extension. We will then add coring and structural elements to the core as we build it up to be level with the bridge floor.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 04-23-2019 at 10:10 AM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Made quite a bit of progress this past weekend on the Bridge Extension. We decided to go full width but only extending the bridge floor (not the sides). The extension is approx 24" longer than the old stubby bridge overhang.

Below are some pics of the mold building process, glass should begin being laid tomorrow, will post pics of progress.

The grey boxes are for a 32" display (aft box, display facing forward), 2 x 19" displays (fwd box, display facing aft) and a 'media box' (port side box, for holding receivers, plugs and overall junction box)

Port side of the bridge extension

Stbd side with ladder cut-out. The writing in the mold is for wire routing and final locations of lights, speakers...etc
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Don't forget the air conditioning ducts.............
    You're making great progress, still can't believe you are taking on all 3 projects at the same time.
    So, just thought of a possible issue. Any worries ragarding the exhaust and other discharges being lower/under in the water with the added parts weight and all of the live wells loaded up etc?
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Don't forget the air conditioning ducts.............
    You're making great progress, still can't believe you are taking on all 3 projects at the same time.
    So, just thought of a possible issue. Any worries ragarding the exhaust and other discharges being lower/under in the water with the added parts weight and all of the live wells loaded up etc?
    I don't think we will have anything to worry about with the boat handling the weight. Even when I was full fuel/water, 3 50gal baitwells on deck, 3 coolers (all full to the brim with ice) I never came close to riding low. When I'm half a tank my zinc is sticking out of the water, so the boat sits higher than it probably should naturally (before these projects).

But, all in all I think we are going to be close to a wash with weight overall before/after this project. We could possibly be a little lighter due to using all composite coring.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    still can't believe you are taking on all 3 projects at the same time... But at the same time I'm REALLY glad they will all be DONE! lol.
    Glutton for punishment lol!! I would def not recommend anybody do all three of these at once....

Mold is waxed, pva'd and ready for gelcoat!! Today is the day!!

SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Gelcoat down! This gelcoat is a sky blue, so over the mezzanine couch will be blue, unless it's ugly then we'll paint it the same color as the boat.

SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Been meaning to post these pics. Bridge extension went off without too many hitches, took a little longer than I had planned but think we are going to be very happy with the results.

Grid structure going in is 1/2" coosa, this will help to stiffen the extension and also give backing to areas with screws/bolts.

Grid structure bonded in
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL