Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Re: Cockpit Mezzanine & Tuna Tube Winter Project

One thing we learned from using the premade FRP shapes and panels is that you really need to pay attention that you grind it really well where you're gluing because it's very dense. Much more dense than a panel or part you would lay up yourself or even a part from a boat builder. They must use some sort of press or high vacuum bag when making this stuff.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Boy, fall/winter weather sure does suck! Got down to the boat for a couple of days, ended up getting about 1 day of work due to scattered rain showers, so didn't get as much done as I had planned but still progress in the right direction.

Got the door for the Gaff storage compartment finished off.

Sure is going to be nice to have the gaffs/harpoons/brushes/boat hooks all stowed away when not in use.

Got the port side of the tackle storage center and the lid bonded in.

Hope to get a couple of weather windows in Dec to finish off the tackle storage center and final glass everything.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

FINALLY!!! Some reasonably warm weather to finish off the Mezzanine! Started prep friday night and laid glass all day sat and sun. Got some initial grinding/sanding done after it all cured up.

REALLY happy with the way everything went together. Everything is SUPER strong/sturdy. Found a couple of spots that need another layer of glass while I was grinding. Will try to get back down next weekend to get everything finished off and ready for the fairing crew!

This weekend was 1yr and 1week from the first piece of glass we laid on the mezzanine. Thank GOD we are on the home stretch of this project!! Paint by the end of April is the current goal.

SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Got it all lightly grinded/sanded and put everything back together. Everything lines up very nicely and it all fits back together woot woot!! I can almost see the light at the end of this tunnel now!! With any luck, and good weather, we will be in the paint booth by April!!

SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Also was able to get the 2 part hi-temp brake caliper paint on the exhaust manifolds! These old gals are ready to make some noise!

SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Hard to believe its been a year already since you went down this path.
    Not sure if you're crazy or just good with doing all of these HUGE complicated projects at the same time.

How much paint work are you going to do??
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Hard to believe its been a year already since you went down this path.
    Not sure if you're crazy or just good with doing all of these HUGE complicated projects at the same time.

How much paint work are you going to do??
    No question about it, most definitely CRAZY! While I'm REALLY glad we are almost done with the 3 big projects we lost a year on the water. But, I'm super happy with the results so far. And while it's been a LONG year, I could not fathom doing this every year for 3 years. In hindsight I'm glad we bit off all 3 projects at the same time, one giant mess for a year and then we're ready to use the boat!

Not sure on the paint yet. I've got a crew of 3-4 pros coming in to fair everything as soon as next weekend. Hopefully after this weekend I'll be ready for them. They are going to shoot all the insides of the coolers/freezer/fishbox/baitwells with a light blue gelcoat while they are there. This light blue matches the underside of the bridge extension.

I want to do as much of the paint prep as possible but not sure I want to be the man on the gun lol. I'm a pretty decent painter with a sprayer, but working with imron is completely new to me, not sure I want to learn on such an expensive curve. So I might handle all the paint prep/tent and hire someone who knows what they are doing to shoot it for me.

For paint prep, I'm thinking we pull as many fixtures off the boat as possible, mask the rest. I've got new heavy duty rod holders so I'll be pulling all the old rod holders out, any stainless fixtures that are easily removed... etc all coming off.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Amazeballs...... Does give me a lot of inspiration for a number of projects I see in my future. Especially being introduced to Coosa board here will pay off.....Thanks.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Amazeballs...... Does give me a lot of inspiration for a number of projects I see in my future. Especially being introduced to Coosa board here will pay off.....Thanks.
    Coosa and cotton flock as a filler. Working with those two to this extent were fairly new to me on this project. For our fillets my fav blend was fill a 2qt container halfway with resin, mix in a handful of 1/4" chop strand and a little under a quart of cotton flock. Stir/add til thicker than mayo, but not as thick as peanut butter. Dump it in a pastry bag and squirt your fillets.

It's amazing how much faster (and better) I've gotten at working with these materials through this process.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL