Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: New Year: Time to Check Safety Equipment

I would also add checking evry float switch and high water alarm
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I would also add checking evry float switch and high water alarm
    Good idea. That's part of my pre-engine start sequence.

Should add changing batteries in all detectors to annual inspection.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

3-D printing could be the way to revive the 53 Motor Yacht!
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Quote Originally Posted by motoryacht lover View Post
    Robert that was a good list. I am headed to the boat Wednesday and will add to your list to mine. I had not thought of some of things on your list.

Rusty, is that 3D printer you have for a business or for personal use. I was aware of them but thought that only a large business could justify the expense. Can yours make larger items? I think we have all gotten desensitized to the marvels of technology but the 3D printer to me is amazing
    I use it for business primarily, but it is in my home office. I use it mostly for prototyping parts and pieces. I then outsource the mass production or mass printing (in the case of some parts). But I have the machine so I keep it running quite a bit. I mean if it's here why not have it print out stuff for me. I print specialty wrenches to get to hard-to-reach places, bit trays for drill bits, tool holders...etc. It's not that I'm too cheap to go buy the stuff, I just REALLY like the fact that I can control exactly what I'm getting. I don't have to go searching stores for it, I know what I want/need, so I just print it.

Not to get too off topic of the OP's original thread, (sorry Robert)
    Before I got the 3d printer my workflow looked something like this.

design a piece/part in cad or other 3d program. Export and send file to my printer guy. Most of the time the part got printed that day or the next day. Then I pay shipping to have the part shipped back to me. If I'm on a tight timeline (which was almost always) this involved overnighting the part to me @ $30/pop.

If I'm lucky 24 hrs after designing the part I have the first print in my hands, I test fit, make adjustments, alter design, export, send to printer.... and the process repeats itself over and over until I'm happy with the final product. Sometimes prototypes went through as many as 10-15 versions before being completed.

Although the workflow above is LIGHT YEARS faster than any other production development pipeline, like in the history of the world, if you have a printer in-house it's even faster.

So, since getting the printer I can design a part and have it in my hands within a few hours. Instead of a 24hr prototype lifespan, some of my prototypes don't even get fully printed before I've got the print canceled and v2 ready to print. It's taken my development timeline from concept to finished part ready for production from weeks to days.

As to the affordability of it... I'm still shocked every day how cheap it really is. In terms of material, for the whistles I have about $.33 in each whistle. Each one takes about an hour to print so it does use some electricity, but the amount is really marginal.

Being that I already have a go-to printer guy for all my production of quantity I let him guide me in what I needed to purchase. He runs a LOT of the brand/model printers that I got so I had seen them working and know what to expect. The model I use is the FLsunQQ. It retails for around $400. These are by far not the best/most expensive printers on the market, but they just flat out work. I'm still amazed by the strength of the pieces they are able to produce. If I need anything super special I have my guy do it with his $5000 printers.

If you've never dealt with 3d design and 3d printers there is def a learning curve, but not too crazy. If you are somewhat technical you will be able to figure it out no prob. The real secret sauce is in the print profiles for each machine to print the different types of filament. Being that I use my guy for my big orders, he just gives me the profiles I need to print with. So for me, it has basically been a plug and play experience.

The size I can print is a cylindrical shape 260mm diameter × 350mm tall. If you need to print larger items you just break them up into chunks and super glue them together. And before anybody gives me shit about imperial vs metric, EVERYTHING in the 3d world is metric. If you can't accept that you don't need to get into it lol.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 01-08-2019 at 03:26 PM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL