Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Galley Maid Head sewer gas blow back

1989 Hatteras. I have a Galley Maid head that was working just fine and now it blows back serious sewer gas from the holding tank with every flush. Any ideas as to where to start?

Thanks, Jim

Re: Galley Maid Head sewer gas blow back

Stators.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Olde Hatt View Post
    1989 Hatteras. I have a Galley Maid head that was working just fine and now it blows back serious sewer gas from the holding tank with every flush. Any ideas as to where to start?

Thanks, Jim
    Holding tank vent blocked; valve to holding tank closed; clogged/blocked line downstream of pump? Any of those can be the cause. If you close the valve and run the pump for a few seconds, for example, you will hear it bog down from pressurizing the line, When the pump stops, the pressure is relieved by heading back your way.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Thanks for the input. Gives me something to work on.

Jim, I have found our models tend to be a bit more odoriferous than most other ones. I believe a good part of it is we are only vented on the port side and cannot get any cross ventilation to the tank.

I have found several other issues that have contributed over the years:
    Cracked inlet elbow from the forward and midship heads to the tank (curious if you have the crazy metal pipe arrangement at the through hull we have in the midship bilge). Replaced hose from through hull and metal elbow, T and nipples with PVC (this summer). We are fortunate that the tank pick up tube is PVC so we don't have to replace ours. As we have wood floors, it would have been a major headache to do that.
    Hose permeation. In the last 2 years I have replaced all the discharge sanitation hoses. Inlet hoses were checked and did not need to be changes.
    My third pump is at Raz ready for pickup. They have rebuilt all of them over the last 3 years so stators and seals are all fairly new. That said, I will be replacing the oldest stator when I pick up the pump. Stators apparently last 2-3 years. This one is nearing 3 years old.
    Tank additives. I now use a combination of a bacterial additive and NuetralizerX. I won't say we never stink but we have to be close to 3/4 full before we worry about our neighbors getting irate. I put a half scoop of Neutralizer in our master head daily and it seems to keep it under control.
    Not sure if you are raw or fresh water flush but that is probably the most sure fire way to keep smell down. Fresh water is not conducive to the bad bacteria that causes stink....
    Last edited by PeterK; 01-04-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
    Fresh water is not conducive to the bad bacteria that causes stink....
    You obviously haven't experienced a septic tank pump out recently.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC