Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wire Path

Wire Path

I need to connect electronics in the overhead console to electronics in the helm, also some stuff on the fly bridge to both the overhead console and helm. I have located the chase in the front of the fly bridge that allows me to run wire to the overhead console from the fly bridge. I have also located the chases in the columns aft of the port and stbd doors that allow wires to run from the fly bridge to the engine rooms. Are there additional chases that allow a more direct path from the fly bridge to the helm? I am thinking to get from the overhead console, I will have to go up to the fly bridge and then down to the helm, but I would like to do that more directly than via the engine room routes. I was actually hoping that the windshield frames had space, but that doesn't look to be the case.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Re: Wire Path

I don’t think so, that’s why you have the massive bundle of wires going between the 2 chases. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

That’s all I’ve ever seen except for under the lower helm into the engine rooms. That’s where you’ll find the shifter and throttle cables As well as anything else PO added.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thanks. I was afraid that would be the answer. I guess it isn't so bad, there are chases into (towards) the helm from the engine rooms.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

the previous owner of my 58 yf made a wire chase between the left and center windshield . it is made of 1/4 inch mahogany it is about 1 1/2 inches out from the windshield frame and the width of the divider between the windows. works great for getting wires from the dash to the overhead
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Thanks. Definitely an option.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

About 80% done with the wiring. I went ahead and used the chases designed into the boat, which was a good thing because I was able to pull ALL of the old wiring related to the wood freeman autopilot, deca radar, raytheon vhf radio and radio telephone, RCA channel master antenna. Plus cleaning out most the dirt inside the console on the fly bridge. They have a huge mud dauber issue up north. Anyways, once I pulled out the tons of old wiring, it took very little time to thread the new wiring through. It looked like a daunting task in the beginning, but if you have someone to help and tug on wires while you are below watching, it starts to sort out pretty well. The AC wiring looks to be more of a challenge. I can't believe how many components go into a wood freeman autopilot. I've heard now that the autopilots don't need a compass, they can determine corrections based solely on the feedback they get from the GPS/Chart Plotter.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

You need to post some photos on your profile so we can see what you’re doing.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I'll post some when I finish. This started with simply mounting the new VHF radio in place of the old one, but I wanted it to also talk to the chart plotter with its AIS data, and the remote mic on the flybridge, and then I realized I need to clear out the old wire, and the old wire was connected to old stuff, and that had to go as well, and so on. And since I am running wires, I am running the network and phone (PBX) wires as well. It seems that in the beginning, all the projects turn into big ones. It will be nice when they are smaller. I do love Starboard now. I have a CNC mill and was able to create panels to cover the spaces where the big old stuff was and the new smaller stuff goes. This will really come into play when I work on the fly bridge.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    About 80% done with the wiring. I went ahead and used the chases designed into the boat, which was a good thing because I was able to pull ALL of the old wiring related to the wood freeman autopilot, deca radar, raytheon vhf radio and radio telephone, RCA channel master antenna. Plus cleaning out most the dirt inside the console on the fly bridge. They have a huge mud dauber issue up north. Anyways, once I pulled out the tons of old wiring, it took very little time to thread the new wiring through. It looked like a daunting task in the beginning, but if you have someone to help and tug on wires while you are below watching, it starts to sort out pretty well. The AC wiring looks to be more of a challenge. I can't believe how many components go into a wood freeman autopilot. I've heard now that the autopilots don't need a compass, they can determine corrections based solely on the feedback they get from the GPS/Chart Plotter.

New autopilots have small electronic compasses in the control module. They also have multiple gyros in the module that makes them quite accurate.

If you run a spare pull line you will have an easy time adding new wiring.
    Last edited by administrator; 01-07-2019 at 09:53 AM.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.