Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: SeaKeeper Stabilizer worth it on an older boat?

Quote Originally Posted by nautibake View Post
    FWIW, we have 700 hours logged (and not "on paper") with 2 Seakeepers with absolutely no issues other than with the March raw water cooling pumps (they are not self-priming, and they require sea water for cooling). I finally added some in-line sensors so I know immediately if they've lost prime. We had one Seakeeper service (required at 2000 hours or 5 years) and it was under $2000 for both units. We are fans of Seakeeper, and yes, although technically "sofisticated" they perform flawlessly. When we have good raw water flow we have a green indication, when they are red we need to check the raw water pumps. These units are extremely well-built and the support from the company is phenomenal.
    Great info, what in line sensors did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by GCSI View Post
    2). History: one manufacturer has thousands of installs and booming buisiness, other is struggling to gain traction.
    I think it's only fair to mention that struggling traction is in the U.S, the Quick units have been in the Italian market for awhile. They've only been available in the U.S for two years

Personally, I find being able to maintain the unit without pulling it from the vessel and not having to put another thru hull in seems attractive

My research revealed the pumps have been an issue from the origination, how come they haven't figured that out yet? The fact they have an extensive line of refurbish units is concerning
    Last edited by ageless; 09-18-2019 at 10:21 AM.
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Quote Originally Posted by Wiredup62 View Post
    Great info, what in line sensors did you use?
    Maretron SIM100 module ($400 on Amazon, plugs into an existing N2K network) and these are the sensors:

1.5" FPT Cooling Water Flow Switch
    MSRP $99
    Part Number: 10271

https://www.maretron.com/products/sim100.php

click on the "Accessories" tab and scroll down to see the flow sensors. They come in 1", 1 and 1/2" and 2". Fairly simple install and config. They've really been a huge improvement. BTW, the Seakeeper will run about 4 hours without raw water cooling (ask me how I know). When they reach a certain internal temp they go into automatic shut-down mode before any damage can be done. Also, the Seakeeper manual says you can shut them down on your way into your destination and they can wind down for several hours without cooling flow. Just some more context...
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Maretron SIM100 module ($400 on Amazon, plugs into an existing N2K network) and these are the sensors:

MSRP $99

click on the "Accessories" tab and scroll down to see the flow sensors. They come in 1", 1 and 1/2" and 2". Fairly simple install and config. They've really been a huge improvement. BTW, the Seakeeper will run about 4 hours without raw water cooling (ask me how I know). When they reach a certain internal temp they go into automatic shut-down mode before any damage can be done. Also, the Seakeeper manual says you can shut them down on your way into your destination and they can wind down for several hours without cooling flow. Just some more context...
    Thanks!!

From what I remember considering the cost of the gyros you got the boat for free.

MSRP $99

"DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I’ve often wondered about how much stress these put on the stringers. Fin type stabs are mounted where the arm from the cg is significantly more. If you understand weight arm and moment it’s a lot of stress on a very short arm. The mainstay of my charter business when I kept the boat up north was overnight swordfish trips so we did a lot of drift fishing in some nasty conditions in the North Atlantic. You could tell when things were picking up when the chine came out of the water and you’d hear a kaboom when the boat rolled to the down sea side. I just have to wonder how effective the gyro is fighting the natural roll of the boat. It would seem you could be taking waves in the cockpit rather than rolling with them.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Once you have drifted, especially overnight, with a gyro running you're not going to want to go on a boat without one. Boat sort of just bobs up and down in the swell with out the violent rocking. Makes a huge difference kite fishing and trolling when it's shitty.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

What % does your generator run during the night to keep the gyros running?
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

But do the gyros attract fish or scare them off?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    From what I remember considering the cost of the gyros you got the boat for free.
    Yes Sir, but then, we’ve managed to spend (invest?) another 1.5 times the purchase price.
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL