Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: SeaKeeper Stabilizer worth it on an older boat?

Can you take it out and re-use on the next boat? Sell it and recoup, say, 50%?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I thought Seakeepers had an end of life and needed replacing with a factory reco unit after a certain number of operating hours??? If so, perhaps look for one that only requires servicing.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 01-03-2019 at 02:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by captcrunch View Post
    Rusty bucket, you may be able to get away with 2 small sea keepers at s lower cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Can you take it out and re-use on the next boat? Sell it and recoup, say, 50%?
    These are both good points, not sure of the “lower cost” but 2 is definitely better than 1. The PO installed 2 Seakeepers on our boat (a former Navy pilot wanted redundancy). One of the selling points (theoretically) was that we could remove and sell one of them and still be stabilized. I don’t think that is very practical given how involved the install /removal would be. However, there were times that we only ran one unit, and it was great to have the capability. No idea what the after market value is, but Seakeeper is very responsive and has a good network of service technicians.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    We were just in Australia where the Maritimo line of boats are built. They are now using the Quick system exclusively in there 55’s. No water cooling which is the weak point on the Seakeepers, also smaller and easier to install. If someone finds out about pricing, let us all know. John
    The raw water cooling was not an issue with the Seakeepers per se, but (in my case), the March submersible pumps. They are not self-priming pumps, yet they are water cooled. We lost prime several times and didn’t know it. Burned up several pumps before I installed in-line flow sensors that are connected to N2K so I can see positive flow from any connected display on the boat. Have never had a problem since. Now we spool up one gyro on shore power before we even start the GenSet. It takes about 20 minutes to spool up to stabilizing RPM. By then we are switched over to ships power and ready to shove off. Also, the Seakeepers can run about 4 hours without raw water cooling (ask me how I know). They have a set of temp sensors on the housing, and all of the bearings that allow the main computer to trigger an auto shutdown before any damage is done to the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by scottinsydney View Post
    I thought Seakeepers had an end of life and needed replacing with a factory reco unit after a certain number of operating hours??? If so, perhaps look for one that only requires servicing.
    I don’t know of any piece of sophisticated machinery that can run infinitely, but in our 3years of ownership I have never seen any reference in the documentation or heard from the many Seakeeper service and support people anything to support an “end life” point. I will make it a point to ask them the specific question now! They do offer some attractive trade-up options from time to time, like a 50% trade in value, but we are still super happy with the original units.

What they do have, at least in the case of our M8000 units (basically the same as the new Seakeeper 9), is a 2000 hour service interval to inspect the units, replace fluids, zincs and seals, etc. That ran us about $1800 total (for the 2 units). So less than $1 per hour. If a unit goes 5 years without reaching 2000 hours, they recommend the same servicing.
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    You shouldn't ask me. I love these old Hatts and anything you can do to make them better, I say go for it.

Do it because you love the boat, not because you want to think about selling it.
    I’m with Sky on this point! It sounds like you have an ideal set of circumstances, maybe even more than the average Seakeeper customer, with how you use and enjoy your boat. Another brand was mentioned, which you should explore, but FWIW, we love the Seakeepers, the company and their support network right here in the good old USA. If you talk to Seakeeper, ask them how many new yacht builders are including them OEM these days. BTW I believe they got their start with Azimut almost 10 years ago. Thousands of proven units worldwide in a wide variety of vessels including commercial. Importantly, they are perfect for stabilizing while you are drifting. We have even fired them up in the slip during a violent thunderstorm. Anyway whatever you decide - Good luck!!
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Had a good phone conversation with Quick US this morning. Honestly I'm sold. He is sending me sizing documents so we get sized up correctly. If these things work as advertised SeaKeeper better watch out. Price tag for the 19k was approx $25k cheaper than a seakeeper 9.

MSRP for the 19k is $50k

Some pluses
    - install can be done in water with crane (two over water cranes very close to our boat)
    - we can self-install
    - air cooled - no need for water cooling
    - smaller footprint than seakeeper
    - service in-place, almost everything on the unit is serviceable in-place (seakeepers have to be pulled)
    - no vacuum or vacuum system
    - significant cost savings

Some minuses
    - air cooled, you have to have good air flow through the boat. probably plenty of flow when engines are running but we may have to add some additional ventilation. It will overheat if improper air flow.
    - ??? can't think of anything else?

So, if I can save $24k over seakeeper AND save the $20-$30k install fee that is HUGE... and makes this decision MUCH easier... This may turn into a mid-summer project rather than fall/winter at these numbers....
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Before spending that much money on The Quick gyro I would try to get feedback from owners and see which builders are using them. There has been various products launched over the years which appear great on paper but don’t work out so well in the real world. Compressed air powered stabilizers come to mind. Lazzara installed them in their boats in the 90s and/or 2000s but they turned out to be troublesome. They switched to Trac hydraulics at some point.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

The Seakeeper on EBAY has been listed multiple times for at least 6 months and probably close to a year.
    There's no way that one is fitting in a 52c.
    I spoke to Quick Marine in Baltimore in the fall and their product is very interesting.
    Haven't filled out their paperwork yet for a quote, probably because I'm scared I would go ahead and put one in.
    Also, there's a lot of maintenance for the Seakeeper.
    Good friend has one in a 45 Viking, at approximately 1500 hours it started making a noise, has to send it back for new bearings, etc and is looking at something like $25k-30k plus the removal/replacement and freight.

Just need a few more gyro makers in the market to get the prices down.....
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Rusty, what kind of warranty is offered with the Quick unit?

Rustbucket, curious to see where a gyro will fit on a 52c? Did you get the dimensions for the Quick marine unit?
    Also, Quick bought a long established Italian gyro maker so there should be quite a bit of history/reviews on them from boat owners in Europe etc.
    Last edited by Cricket; 01-03-2019 at 03:11 PM.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Rustbucket, curious to see where a gyro will fit on a 52c? Did you get the dimensions for the Quick marine unit?
    Also, Quick bought a long established Italian gyro maker so there should be quite a bit of history/reviews on them from boat owners in Europe etc.
    The dimensions are on their italian website, had to break out google translate for some of it. But the dimensions of the 19 (which is what I 'think' I'll need) are 24"x24" base x 27" tall approx 1200lbs

The rep says the absolute best location for install is between the engines. That is not really feasable on the 52c so I am looking at two possible install locations.

Location 1 is under the engine room ladder. Although I've got to put a tape measure in there to see what kind of space I'm looking at there. I have a toolbox there currently, no idea how much space is actually there.

The second location is aft of the main fuel tank under the cockpit as close to the fighting chair pole as possible. Should be plenty of room there for the install for sure.

The control box needs to be mounted within 18' (wire distance) from the gyro, which shouldn't be an issue. I could mount it on the transom wall or maybe in the ER somewhere.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL