Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: SeaKeeper Stabilizer worth it on an older boat?

Pascal I know what you mean about the air system on Lazzarras . I just surveyed an 80 cockpit and when I asked to see the stabilizers in action, the owner just said they don’t work. As to boat builders using the Quick, Maritimo in Australia is using them as standard equipment on some of their boats. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    Rusty, what kind of warranty is offered with the Quick unit?
    QuickUSA warranty:
    2 year/2000 hours warranty. A third year/1000 hour extended warranty is available.

Seakeeper warranty. This warranty is for the following period, whichever occurs first:

• 36 months (3 years) from the date of shipment from SEAKEEPER, INC., factory
    • Or, 24 months (2 years) from date the product put into service, which shall conclusively be presumed to be the date of sale of a vessel, on which a SEAKEEPER, INC., product is installed, to a retail customer or date put into service on an existing vessel (refit).
    • Or, 2000 (two thousand) operating SEA hours, subject to verification and confirmation by SEAKEEPER, INC.,
    • Or, for OEM demonstration or stock boats, the warranty will begin one (1) year after date of commissioning or after 200 recorded (operating) SEA hours, if this use is prior to delivery to a retail customer.

So really the warranties are pretty much the exact same.

Last edited by rustybucket; 01-03-2019 at 04:46 PM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    QuickUSA warranty:
    2 year/2000 hours warranty. A third year/1000 hour extended warranty is available.

Seakeeper warranty. This warranty is for the following period, whichever occurs first:

• 36 months (3 years) from the date of shipment from SEAKEEPER, INC., factory
    • Or, 24 months (2 years) from date the product put into service, which shall conclusively be presumed to be the date of sale of a vessel, on which a SEAKEEPER, INC., product is installed, to a retail customer or date put into service on an existing vessel (refit).
    • Or, 2000 (two thousand) operating SEA hours, subject to verification and confirmation by SEAKEEPER, INC.,
    • Or, for OEM demonstration or stock boats, the warranty will begin one (1) year after date of commissioning or after 200 recorded (operating) SEA hours, if this use is prior to delivery to a retail customer.

So really the warranties are pretty much the exact same.

wow!! thank you

rusty, hurry up and do the quick, so I know if it is something in my future.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Anybody have new info on these GYROS? Has the Quick units gained popularity? I am thinking about adding a unit to my boat. SK is very popular in the mid atlantic.

I recently installed a gyro stabilization system on a 75’ MY. While doing due dilligance, I compared the two available Gyro only based systems from every conceivable perspective. The final conclusion? The price Delta between existing Gyro based systems was not sufficient to overcome;
    1). Differences in support network.
    2). History: one manufacturer has thousands of installs and booming buisiness, other is struggling to gain traction.

The price to remove legacy Fins and install Zero Speed Fins was very close to price of Gyro System. I chose to go with a belt and suspenders approach: legacy fin system for high speed cruise with Gyro for slow and at rest.

VERY happy with results, will never own another boat without a Zero Speed System of some sort. However, price did sting a little...

Cool Re: SeaKeeper Stabilizer worth it on an older boat?

These gyro stabilization system look very interesting - on paper - The concept is quite simple but the implementation its my belief is getting to complicated. If I would consider installing one, I would choose the simpler one ( KISS). Sofisticated systems have the bad habit of screwing up on a salt water enviroment. As a broker friend of mine told me: do not sell the boat, change the wife.! She was not amused.

Quote Originally Posted by GCSI View Post
    I recently installed a gyro stabilization system on a 75’ MY. While doing due dilligance, I compared the two available Gyro only based systems from every conceivable perspective. The final conclusion? The price Delta between existing Gyro based systems was not sufficient to overcome;
    1). Differences in support network.
    2). History: one manufacturer has thousands of installs and booming buisiness, other is struggling to gain traction.

The price to remove legacy Fins and install Zero Speed Fins was very close to price of Gyro System. I chose to go with a belt and suspenders approach: legacy fin system for high speed cruise with Gyro for slow and at rest.

VERY happy with results, will never own another boat without a Zero Speed System of some sort. However, price did sting a little...
    So which brand gyro did you decide on going with?
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

SeaKeeper

Quote Originally Posted by piripucha View Post
    These gyro stabilization system look very interesting - on paper - The concept is quite simple but the implementation its my belief is getting to complicated. If I would consider installing one, I would choose the simpler one ( KISS). Sofisticated systems have the bad habit of screwing up on a salt water enviroment. As a broker friend of mine told me: do not sell the boat, change the wife.! She was not amused.
    FWIW, we have 700 hours logged (and not "on paper") with 2 Seakeepers with absolutely no issues other than with the March raw water cooling pumps (they are not self-priming, and they require sea water for cooling). I finally added some in-line sensors so I know immediately if they've lost prime. We had one Seakeeper service (required at 2000 hours or 5 years) and it was under $2000 for both units. We are fans of Seakeeper, and yes, although technically "sofisticated" they perform flawlessly. When we have good raw water flow we have a green indication, when they are red we need to check the raw water pumps. These units are extremely well-built and the support from the company is phenomenal.
    Attached Images
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL