Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water Pressure

Water Pressure

My wife turned on the shore water and the water pump (she was supposed to turn on the AC water pump), and then she called saying that the hose that connects the 32v water pump to the pressure tank was leaking and she turned everything off. When I got out here this morning, I turned on the shore water (but not the water pump) and there was a sizable leak in that hose. Large enough that I know my bilge pump in the stbd er works very well.

In any event, I replaced the hose with reinforced PVC for now (nothing was open except Home Depot) and all is fine, except I noticed when we were on shore water, the pressure gauge on the water pump was over 60 psi! And the reinforced PVC looked like it had some decent pressure in it (but it is good up to 225 psi). I am sticking with the fresh water tanks for now, but I thought the regulator was supposed to regulate the shore water pressure? We have been using shore water fine, for awhile now, and maybe the other hose just wore out. It was leaking where an o-clamp used to be, but what should I see on the galley maid tank pressure gauge when I am on shore water?

Btw, I noticed decent pressure on shore water, more than when on tanks, but nothing extraordinary. Just pressure like at home.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Re: Water Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    My wife turned on the shore water and the water pump (she was supposed to turn on the AC water pump), and then she called saying that the hose that connects the 32v water pump to the pressure tank was leaking and she turned everything off. When I got out here this morning, I turned on the shore water (but not the water pump) and there was a sizable leak in that hose. Large enough that I know my bilge pump in the stbd er works very well.

In any event, I replaced the hose with reinforced PVC for now (nothing was open except Home Depot) and all is fine, except I noticed when we were on shore water, the pressure gauge on the water pump was over 60 psi! And the reinforced PVC looked like it had some decent pressure in it (but it is good up to 225 psi). I am sticking with the fresh water tanks for now, but I thought the regulator was supposed to regulate the shore water pressure? We have been using shore water fine, for awhile now, and maybe the other hose just wore out. It was leaking where an o-clamp used to be, but what should I see on the galley maid tank pressure gauge when I am on shore water?

Btw, I noticed decent pressure on shore water, more than when on tanks, but nothing extraordinary. Just pressure like at home.
    I run 35 PSI on my pump which is fine for either source. However, my shore water comes in at a brisk 75-85 PSI.
    IMG_9949.jpg
    I've never touched my regulator. I know that 85 is too much, and that I risk blowing a hose. But I show does like dat shower. Always careful to have at least two shut-offs before the water enters the boat.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

My gauge only goes to 60, and the needle was well past that. I was worried I damaged the pressure tank, but it is working well. In fact, there must have been a small leak all along because it kept cycling every 10 minutes or so. Tonight, it didn't cycle at all, unless we ran water. So, it isn't an issue if the shore water pressurizes the tank that much?

Edit: The water pump by itself does around 35 psi.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

If you are worried about the shore water pressure and don't want to mess with the regulator on the boat install one of these at the faucet

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Pressur.../dp/B003BZD08U

Im like Robert I prefer the good shower and let mine ride. Im at about 70-80#. Most all of my water piping is copper tubing except a couple of reinforced vinyl hoses for the deck washes. I had one leaking and keeping my ER bilge wet. Replaced it and no more issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    If you are worried about the shore water pressure and don't want to mess with the regulator on the boat install one of these at the faucet

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Pressur.../dp/B003BZD08U

Im like Robert I prefer the good shower and let mine ride. Im at about 70-80#. Most all of my water piping is copper tubing except a couple of reinforced vinyl hoses for the deck washes. I had one leaking and keeping my ER bilge wet. Replaced it and no more issues.
    Thanks, I may try that. Robert is right, the pressure is nice in the shower, but that was an impressive leak.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

I might try this also ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDxx_od_LL0

That looks pretty much like the regulator on the boat.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Turns out the pressure bursting the water pump hose between the pump and pressure tank was a blessing. After I installed a new hose, I don't have to prime the pump when I return to the boat, even after several days. I knew it was leaking somewhere, because the pump would cycle every 10 minutes, and when I left the boat and returned (with the pump off), I would have to prime it. Must have been a pin hole leak that just got worse fast. I was dreading locating the leak, but it located itself.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

My 110v Headhunter pump runs at 68 psi. It's not adjustable.
    It's been in service many years and has not been a problem. The showers and deck wash down sure work nice!
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331