Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sender/Sensor Questions

I've been troubleshooting a couple of inoperable gauges on the flybridge and helm and had a couple of questions. In the attached image, what is the middle sensor for? I know the bottom left fuel pressure sensor is involved with energizing the alternator and the hours meter, and I assume that the top right sensor is for water temp, but the middle one also seems to be water temp. Is it for the engine alarm? I notice what seemed to be the oil pressure gauge about midway on the block, in an almost impossible to reach location. Please tell me that the oil pressure sender is somewhere else. And lastly, where is the transmission pressure gauge? Engines are DD 8V71TI.

PortSensors.jpg
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Re: Sender/Sensor Questions

The transmission sender on my ZF gears is on top of the transmission. Sucker cost me $230

This looks like the same set up as my 1979 53' MY.
    It looks like this photo is of the port engine.

The sensor on the top right of the photo (with two wires) is for the high temp alarm.
    The sensor in the middle with one wire is for the water temperature gauge.

For the oil pressure gauge you can easily get to it by taking off the access cover in the hallway between the to engines. The oil pressure sending unit will be on a manifold along with the low oil pressure alarm sensor.

I am guessing you have Allison transmissions. The oil pressure sending unit will be near the top of the transmission in the center very close to where the shift cable attaches. It actually screws into the shift valve assembly.
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia

Thanks guys. I keep forgetting that there are panels between the doors. The seam is so tight, I thought it was just trim.

I guess I thought the top right sensor was water temp because it had two wires for dual station.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

The two wires are to make a circuit. It is technically a switch and not a sender. They can be normally open or normally closed the key being is that when its not normal it changes the circuitry and causes the alarm to go off.

I have an Allison M20L on my 1986 53MY. I thought the sensor on top of the transmission was the oil pressure sending unit. Is the temp switch there also?

Thanks,
    Doug
    Doug Troughton
    1986 Hatteras 53 MY
    Hull# HATAM635H586

The transmission pressure gauge looks like this. Port motor port side on the side of the transmission.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Looks like this. Sorry it didn’t attach to the last post
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    The transmission pressure gauge looks like this. Port motor port side on the side of the transmission.
    Thanks. What I saw was on the top-center of the tranny. I'm getting a Drive Temp alarm and I
    suspect it's a loose wire or bad switch. Got a picture of the temp switch?

Doug
    Doug Troughton
    1986 Hatteras 53 MY
    Hull# HATAM635H586

Looks like the ones in your first photo.