Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Need help 50 / 250 shore power

My boat runs on two 50 amp (50/250) shorpower cords. On one of the cables, the “flat blade” broke of cleanly inside the male portion (dockside) of the plug. Boat uses two IsoBoost isolation transformers. Do I have to scurry out and find a replacement plug NOW, or can I wait a few days and use cable with broken blade?

Oh Hatteras Gods, what say yee?

Re: Need help 50 / 250 shore power

not sure what you mean by "flat blade", you can do without the green ground and the white neutral and only bring the two hots -Black and red- onboard thru the plug. So if the "flat blade" connects to one of the those the white or green you are ok . I'm sure you look up the wiring diagram and see what you have .......Pat

Green is ground and is the outer ring of the connector. Neutral is not always used BUT never take chances. Just get a new plug or end.

You dont know what is inside that may short and catch fire.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I m pretty sure the flat blade is the N on 125/250-50 so you probably dont need it with isolation transformers but check with a voltmeter just to be safe.

Question is why did it break? If corrosion i wonder how what shape the hots are in...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

The cord is actually one of two extensions (50 footers) that was on board at purchase. I’ve got a spare end, along with a boat load of people on board...... trying to avoid a bilge dive right now. Been monitoring heat at the dockside connection, remains cool to touch. Assuming since I’ve got 250V all is going d.

I NOW know to bow-in at marinas, live and learn.

Pulling into slip yesterday (stein in), narrow freeway, BIG current with 25kt wind blowing into face of dock and line of moored yachts. All going according to plan and Bow Thruster goes tits-up. Closest I’ve ever come to damaging a boat! Story for another day.

Electric thrusters will only run so long before they get hot and stop... cant rely on them in critical situations. Almost all of them will not overcome a strong current and/or 25kts winds.... healthy power burst will...

Yesterday a 70ish hatteras MY got pinned against a bunch of bows at miami beach marina. Not sure if it was operator brain fade or mechanical issue but it had to have caused heavy damage.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

The W (neutral) is the flat blade. Neutral does not even come aboard your boat. It is not needed. The X (hot) and Y (hot) go to the taps on the transformer and the G (Ground) goes only to the case of the transformer.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Hate to admit this, but that was me at Miami Beach Marina. Hydraulic thruster died just as we started to pivot. Tried to power out, wasn’t gonna happen.

We were able to lay on pilings and secure boat while diagnosing problem. Fortunately, no damage done to my boat or any others. Purely a function of luck, could have been very bad. Diagnosed, repaired and tested thruster over course of next few hours. Once we had a thruster and less current, were able to easily pivot and back into slip.

Indipendant generator that drives thruster decided to burp at that very critical moment.

Consider myself a very lucky boy.....

Amazing that you didnt get any damage since at almost every marina bows always stick out beyond the pilings. Current rips at MBM... glad you made it off safely
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by GCSI View Post
    I NOW know to bow-in at marinas, live and learn...
    Glad it turned out okay for you. The marinas always seem to ask us to stern in, they assume the power is on the transom like most newer boats. Unless the finger peer is too short to deploy our ladder, we tell them we prefer bow in. Another slight advantage is that depending on the marina, the view is much better off the aft deck. Also more privacy in one of our favorite lounging areas. Where we are now the view on the dock is parked cars. The view off the aft deck is a beautiful fairway and boats.
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL