Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Removing refrigerator 48 motor yacht

I have a 1981 48 Hatteras motor yacht. looking to replace the refrigerator. From what I can see is
    that it looks like it comes out the front window. Any help would be great.

Re: Removing refrigerator 48 motor yacht

I had a 1982 model of the 48 MY and years ago we did get the refrigerator out to replace with new
    under the counter units. As I recall, we removed the window and railing on the port side of the boat
    just at the staircase from the aft deck to the salon. Cover the window frame with a movers blanket
    (available cheap from Harbor Freight) to prevent damage and have a couple of strong guys slide it out.
    Getting it from the side deck (port side) to the ground was easy as we had the yard come over with a
    fork lift with a large pallet on it and just slid it over onto the pallet. Now I don't mean to imply that it
    was easy as there was a lot of grunting and groaning (and a few unpleasant words) but it worked with
    no damage to the boat. BTW the doors from the fridge needed to come off but I'm sure you figured that
    out by now. The new under the counter units came in very easy as they are much smaller than the
    full size double door unit that they replaced. We also replaced the washer/dryer the same way as well
    as the couch.

Have fun.....

Walt

Hey, if it's dead a sawsall makes lots of tiny pieces.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Quote Originally Posted by Fanfare View Post
    Hey, if it's dead a sawsall makes lots of tiny pieces.
    Done that!
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Walt did your side windows open? This Bob's old boat.

Yes, my windows slid open and they were removable as well. I don't remember if Bob's windows were
    able to open or if someone had caulked them shut but they can probably be removed then resealed if
    that's what you wish to do. Where is the boat located now?

Walt

It's in Fort Myers, Florida. We have been doing a lot of work to her. All new bedding, drapes , new recliners. Replacing head hoses ect. She a work in progress, starting on the galley next.

You may be interested in the work I did on my 48. I got rid of the big fridge and installed 2 under the
    counter units which gave us a much more open galley and a good amount of counter space. If you would
    like give me a call and we can discuss some of the things that I did. BTW the TV cabinet was built by me
    and Bob installed it and finished it including the electric TV lift. In my opinion it added a nice touch to
    the salon and was very convienent as well.

Walt
    732-991-5665

PS..... we may be going to Fla sometime in late Feb or very early Mar depending on how Monica's
    recovery from knee replacement goes later this month. Perhaps we can get together...

Did the saws all thing in my 52c (cut once horizontal and once vertical after doors off).

Now doing the “Walt thing” with undercounters bought on forum (thanks Capt Hoop!).

DAN