Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: Master head won't drain

My problem was in the 90s and nipples on holding tank. Acid alone would not clear them.
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemmc View Post
    The other heads drain great.Has anyone just tapped into another heads drain line instead of pulling another 50' line?
    Have you tried the various acid solutions yet? You very likely have a very soluble, literally and figuratively, problem.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Added the phosphoric acid to the line It only took about a pint. I hr later bubble bubble toil and trouble. Foaming and overflowing. Going to give it a day, drain as much as I can, and repeat. Disconnected at Blackwater tank, so I can tell if the line breaks open to drain.

Update - Drained as much acid as I could from exposed line. Refilled & waited 2 days. No movement in fluid level. Thought maybe a little pressure might help erode the plug. 60lbs...to much. Split at old connection and literally a sh*t storm in the engine room. Took 4 hours to clean up that mess.Today, ran 18' of a 25' drain augers into line. Measured run 18'. Reattached air line & pressured to 20lbs. If it won't bleed air, no chance with a liquid. Any ideas?

I would remove line from holding tank as good chance issue is there. That is where my restriction was. If not at least you can work from both ends. If it is mid line somewhere you probably have a crushed line or some fitting that is where blockage is occurring.
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

I removed the fitting from the tank before I started this journey, and have terminated in a bucket to try and see when flow restored. No joy.

I removed the fitting from the tank before I started this journey, and have terminated in a bucket to try and see when flow restored. No joy.

Run a snake through and make sure you can see both ends. I'd not you have the wrong end somewhere. Check for valves too. Just in case it's been re routed and you didnt know it
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Did you work snake from holding tank back to valves that allow diverting to overboard discharge? Once you have idea of how far snake goes it will give you idea where blockage is. My valves were in generator space starboard side for master and guest head. Forward head was in space bellow forward cabin. I was lucky on my boat Hatteras had run a pvc chase from engine room to generator space. I used this to run new line as old rubber hose was failing anyway.
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemmc View Post
    I'm at a loss unless, as Scott suggested, there's a valve in there somewhere. There should be two valves associated with each pump. One is at the seacock for overboard discharge. The other selects the line to the overboard discharge or the line to the holding tank. Are you certain you have found them both? Your snake will get stopped at a ball valve or at an elbow.

Sounds like you're going to have to get a visual on the hose exterior and look for anything other than hose. Also may be useful to use a Depstech type camera. Running both ends of the hose, you would have plenty of reach for the camera. These units are inexpensive, and you'll find plenty of uses for them beyond this issue.

Finally, if you have a clog from toilet paper (or other foreign object), acid will not clear it. Have you applied air pressure from both ends?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC