Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Re: Master head won't drain

My clog is between anti siphon and black water tank. So clogged in fact that water pressure from pump caused siphon fitting to hiss when loosened.Wonder how to get acid in contact with clog. Will muriatic acid harm rubber tube. Looks original

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemmc View Post
    My clog is between anti siphon and black water tank. So clogged in fact that water pressure from pump caused siphon fitting to hiss when loosened.Wonder how to get acid in contact with clog. Will muriatic acid harm rubber tube. Looks original
    It clogged where water pooled. Therefore acid should be able to apply itself. Try the vinegar or the etch and prep. I’d really caution against the muriatic. The fumes alone aren’t worth it. Put the stuff in the bowl and flush. Reset breaker and do it again after a bit. Give it time.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Both vinegar and barnacle buster will work. The vinegar will be slower than the barnacle buster. However both are safe. I agree with Robert regarding not using acid.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thanks Robert, I'll try the etching stuff first.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemmc View Post
    Thanks Robert, I'll try the etching stuff first.
    While you should dilute the E&P (phosphoric acid) 4:1 for de-scaling motors, you’ll be safe at 1:1 (50%) for the heads.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Pull the hose and replace it. The hoses start to crack and the smell starts to permeate through them after 15 years anyway. Time for new.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I only used the muriatic after Mike at Raz told me several times he uses it several times a year on his own vessel. I agree, try the phosphoric first. I only used a few ounces of muriatic in the metal T and nipples.

Seven, you should try the home depot stuff- 16/gallon versus 75+ for barnacle buster or their black water system product: Sew Clean at about the same. But then again, your money...

Quote Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
    I only used the muriatic after Mike at Raz told me several times he uses it several times a year on his own vessel. I agree, try the phosphoric first. I only used a few ounces of muriatic in the metal T and nipples.

Seven, you should try the home depot stuff- 16/gallon versus 75+ for barnacle buster or their black water system product: Sew Clean at about the same. But then again, your money...
    Thanks for the tip. I’m always looking for ways too save money.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

All the other heads drain fine? If not, a plugged vent line on the holding tank will certainly act like you describe. Good luck -
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"

The other heads drain great.Has anyone just tapped into another heads drain line instead of pulling another 50' line?