Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Master head won't drain

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Perhaps you’ve not heard of a great new invention, rubber gloves.
    They make chewing your nails even harder. Not to mention picking your nose.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemmc View Post
    The master head won't drain. It fills up and then over a few days slowly drains to empty. I have run a few gallons of CLR into the bowl with no success. Just poured a gallon a muriatic acid into the bowl, don't know if its drained through or not as I had to leave.

Looks like 2" PVC piped with 90 angles under tub into engine room up to galley maid pump on starboard side engine room floor. Then through a 1" line with a siphon loop, disappears through floor along strake and re-appears in genny room to black water tank.

If I attached a line to the existing 1" line, what could I force through it to de-calcify or unclog if that is where the issue is?

Sky mentions that the old line is held up with cushion clamps every 1', so yanking it out would be a major PITA even if you could access it all. So it the procedure to abandon in place and pull through another line?

Was thinking about replacing galley maid with a new Atlantis Freedom. I'm thinking that if I have to spend $500 having it rebuilt, better $1k for new. Anyone have any experience with these?

thx
    I replaced the master head with Atlantes and love it. Unfortunately they don’t sell 32 volt Atlantes any more so I also had to install a 32-12 volt converter. I’m not sure if running a 24 volt model on 32 volts would significantly reduce its life.

On the other hand, the GM heads sometimes just lose prime, particularly underway. Do you still have the 1/4 inch copper line from the seawater to the sewage side of the pump? Lossen the nut on the sewage side and see if air bubbles escape. If there’s any air in there the discharge pump just cavitates.

Also, behind the toilet is a short length of hose between the water input and the waste line. Replace that hose and it significantly improves performance.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

I converted to Atlantes fresh water heads 14 years ago. I'm never going back. They just work and I don't have to ever mess with them. I have only had to remove one once to work on it. It had a nickel stuck in the macerator blades. I have no idea who was eating nickels.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Sky, I also have those heads and found a trac 2 razor blade in mine, can’t blame anyone but my self for that one. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Sky, I also have those heads and found a trac 2 razor blade in mine, can’t blame anyone but my self for that one. John
    The disc from a halogen light right over the head occupied my time for quite a while. It was the perfect size to flip like a butterfly valve on a random basis. ‘Toilet lids down’ was added to the before getting underway checklist. Kinda like placing your tray table in the upright and locked position.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Kinda like placing your tray table in the upright and locked position.
    That's because when the crap hits the fan we have to (by law) be able to get ALL of you OUT in X (I think it's three) minutes and all those tray tables down would slow the process down considerably.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    That's because when the crap hits the fan we have to (by law) be able to get ALL of you OUT in X (I think it's three) minutes and all those tray tables down would slow the process down considerably.
    Not slowing me down. I’ve evacuated three airliners in my time.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Not slowing me down. I’ve evacuated three airliners in my time.
    As a passenger or one of the ones screaming "THIS WAY LEAVE YOUR SH!T and GET OUT"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    As a passenger or one of the ones screaming "THIS WAY LEAVE YOUR SH!T and GET OUT"
    Passenger: Eastern L1011, sabotaged, Cali; Avianca 727, rejected takeoff, slide evac, Miami; American MD80, dual engine flameout, slide evac, Columbia, SC.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Robert, remind me never to fly with you!!!!
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.