Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: Master head won't drain

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Ok, this one's new for me.... How does that happen?
    Very old bronze pick-up corrodes, usually high up, and breaks the suction of the evacuating pump. Lots of posts on the site. A good many owners sleeve the OEM pipe with 1-1/2” pvc. In my case, I have two 135 gallon tanks. I was able to sleeve one, but had to install a new setup on the other.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Ah, so you're not able to empty it. I read "one flush and it's full".... which caught my eye. But what really happens is that it never empties to begin with. Thanks, that makes sense.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Replaced stator and rubber thing. 1.5g of liquid crap drained out of line, and toilet emptied. Hooked everything back up, toilet fills but doesn't empty. Does it need to be primed? If yes. How?

There is a priming plug for both fill and waste. But a full bowl will generally self prime if you let it settle for a bit. You could shut off inlet and see if it'll catch prime. All bets off if tank is full or line clogged.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Pull the plugs that Robert is talking about. Take a small funnel or turkey baster and fill them with water. This should give you the prime you’re missing.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Talking Re: Master head won't drain

Rebuilt the stator & rotor. Waiting a week took care of the priming issue, but pump bound up and tripped breaker. Removed the discharge line from siphon break and the pressure was high. Once line removed from siphon break and routed to bucket, pump worked great. So probably the discharge line between siphon break and tank clogged. Before I attempt to run a new line to the tank, anyone have any luck clearing these lines with a snake or is the calcium buildup just too hard?Could I "T" into the guest head discharge line? That pump is in the engine room with the master head pump?

Try barnacle buster. Let it sit overnight then run a snake.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Or a few gallons of white vinegar over a week. Bet it’ll get you going. At least it’s less expensive.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I just went through this with my master head and was ready to pull all new hose (about 50 feet!) which I had done 3 years ago. I was shocked at how calcified one section we did replace was. I used the the Kleen Strip Prep and Etch (about $16/gallon at Big Orange)as suggested by Robert before going the new hose route. Diluted 4 to 1 and used a hose on the raw water side of the pump to pump it into the system. I let it sit for about an hour and flushed the toilet. Substantial improvement but I rightly suspected the T where the through hull is had more build up. Disconnect both hoses and put small 18" section of hose on the nipples. Filled with muriatic and let that sit for about 30 minutes. Reconnected and flushed it out. One heck of a lot easier and cheaper than the new hose and the head has never worked better in the entire 6 years we have lived aboard!

Link to the phosphoric acid: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-St...0220/100406369

One warning: do not breathe the fumes form the muriatic!! Nasty, nasty stuff and will foam like crazy when it hits the calcification... The phosphoric was absolutely tame compared to it but did work, albeit slower and to a lesser degree.
    Last edited by PeterK; 02-11-2019 at 11:06 AM.