Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Master head won't drain

The master head won't drain. It fills up and then over a few days slowly drains to empty. I have run a few gallons of CLR into the bowl with no success. Just poured a gallon a muriatic acid into the bowl, don't know if its drained through or not as I had to leave.

Looks like 2" PVC piped with 90 angles under tub into engine room up to galley maid pump on starboard side engine room floor. Then through a 1" line with a siphon loop, disappears through floor along strake and re-appears in genny room to black water tank.

If I attached a line to the existing 1" line, what could I force through it to de-calcify or unclog if that is where the issue is?

Sky mentions that the old line is held up with cushion clamps every 1', so yanking it out would be a major PITA even if you could access it all. So it the procedure to abandon in place and pull through another line?

Was thinking about replacing galley maid with a new Atlantis Freedom. I'm thinking that if I have to spend $500 having it rebuilt, better $1k for new. Anyone have any experience with these?

thx

Re: Master head won't drain

Have you tried changing out the stators? 80.00 for both if you do it yourself.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemmc View Post
    The master head won't drain. It fills up and then over a few days slowly drains to empty. I have run a few gallons of CLR into the bowl with no success. Just poured a gallon a muriatic acid into the bowl, don't know if its drained through or not as I had to leave.

Looks like 2" PVC piped with 90 angles under tub into engine room up to galley maid pump on starboard side engine room floor. Then through a 1" line with a siphon loop, disappears through floor along strake and re-appears in genny room to black water tank.

If I attached a line to the existing 1" line, what could I force through it to de-calcify or unclog if that is where the issue is?

Sky mentions that the old line is held up with cushion clamps every 1', so yanking it out would be a major PITA even if you could access it all. So it the procedure to abandon in place and pull through another line?

Was thinking about replacing galley maid with a new Atlantis Freedom. I'm thinking that if I have to spend $500 having it rebuilt, better $1k for new. Anyone have any experience with these?

thx

I purchased my boat 8 years ago with Atlantis Freedoms. I have one on salt water and one on fresh water. Not a single issue in all that time.

Art
    Trouble
    43DCFB DC-306
    AYC NY

For the Atlantis Freedom heads take a look at this document. It tells you what to try in the event they will not drain. They are not as straight forward as the Galley Maid or Vacuflush designs.

http://www.raritaneng.com/pdf_files/.../L345v0911.pdf
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia

Use plunger to check for blockage. Trick with GM system is use and munger to pull rather than push. Push down then jerk upwards to pull any clog back up. Order s stator and a seal kit. Make you understand whether you have and old/new style pump mount. Unless you have a clog, you’re done.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Don't know if yours is PVC all the way to the pump coupling or not, but this really is a simple DIY, routine maintenance fix. Disconnect the suction hose from the big end at the pump. If you get free flow from the bowl to the pump, it's not a clog. If it is a clog, as mentioned, use a plunger... In my experience, somebody has usually sent cloth or string down the head and its wrapped around the macerator blade, or the rubber bellows has given up. Remove the 8 or so bolts holding the pump end housing on, you can't pull the housing straight off because of the macerator blade, BUT there are a couple of gaps in the inside housing casting, so when the housing is rotated to allow the gaps to line up with the blade, Shazam, it'll come off. The rotor (with blade attached) will unscrew from its threaded arbor...(I use a long thin screwdriver to lock the armature from spinning) even if it's just junk around the macerator blade, I replace the rubber stator cup anyway. AND don't chew your fingernails or pick your nose during this process...you'll be in a nasty place.

Thanks everyone. This will be Sunday's project. I'll keep you in the poop, oh I meant loop regards the result.

At least the job will break you of that nasty fingernail chewing habit.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    At least the job will break you of that nasty fingernail chewing habit.
    Perhaps you’ve not heard of a great new invention, rubber gloves.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

If it’s in the PVC, all of the PVC won’t need replacing. Just the 90 degree angle(s). That’s where the worst of mine was. It had built up to where there was nothing left except a hole about the size of a pencil lead. (And there was just one spot that bad). It builds up on the upside water flow side of the angle just before it makes the 90 degree turn.

Chemicals didn’t touch it. The stuff was like concrete. Couldn’t break it with a hammer. The straight lengths of pipe were still plenty open. Which is a good thing. That would’a been a hassle. I cut just the angle out with a wheel grinder and replaced with new. Worked fine after.

Try the other stuff first.
    Last edited by dcate; 12-28-2018 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Double post
    “Sentry”
    1977 Hatteras 70’ CMY
    #70MY313