Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stowage For Three Rung Boarding Ladder - 53MY

Just curious as to where others stow the boarding ladder that affixes to either side of the boat near the pilothouse door.

I believe this ladder came as standard on most 53MY and perhaps other models as well. PO stowed ours in the bow anchor locker and it's a major PITA getting it in and out for use.

High water levels in the Great Lakes have forced us to use it on several occasions already this seasons and I gotta believe there's a better place to put it!
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

Re: Stowage For Three Rung Boarding Ladder - 53MY

Mine is hung on the ceiling of the stb engine room. I've never had to use it so I can't comment on how easy it is to get out of there.
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

I have a mount on the forward stancions where it attaches and removes easily. We use ours often. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Mine mounts on the backside of the fly bridge ladder, using the same type of attachment points as used on the deck.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Mine sit on these pins.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Mine mounts on pins like SEVEN posted - near bow dunnage boxes - fixed ladder on port and Marquit on starboard.

Mine was on those pins. The Admiral did not like looking at it out the galley window so I removed the pins and patched/painted the gunnel. I have been putting it in the genny room, but I like the idea of hanging it from the engine room ceiling. Thanks for the idea.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

It’s funny you mention that Sky, I’ve pictured in my mind cutting a notch in the port side engine vent and building a rack that hung from the engine room ceiling. This would hold it in place while underway. Once berthed I can reach in and pull it directly out of the side and install it. This might get me motivated to do it.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    It’s funny you mention that Sky, I’ve pictured in my mind cutting a notch in the port side engine vent and building a rack that hung from the engine room ceiling. This would hold it in place while underway. Once berthed I can reach in and pull it directly out of the side and install it. This might get me motivated to do it.
    Only problem with that is potentially getting more salt spray in the engine room. I don't think I'd be cutting out any of the vent.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Can someone post a picture of the ladder? I don't have one and I'd like to get one built.
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"