Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Re: Master head won't drain

Well good news bad news. The good news is that the pump now evacuate’s the bowl into the 5 gallon bucket. That’s good news. Bad news is that now I have 40 feet of sanitation line that needs to be cleared somehow. I’ll start with muriatic acid into the line and see if that will do something. That’s a lot of line to clear.
    Bob Leland
    1980 58' Yachtfish Hull#473
    Seattle,Wa / Phoenix, Az

Quote Originally Posted by Leland View Post
    Well good news bad news. The good news is that the pump now evacuate’s the bowl into the 5 gallon bucket. That’s good news. Bad news is that now I have 40 feet of sanitation line that needs to be cleared somehow. I’ll start with muriatic acid into the line and see if that will do something. That’s a lot of line to clear.
    Bad news good news. Yes it is, but probably only clogged at the low point(s).
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

The rubber stator gets hard over time. Rebuild is not difficult, but pump assembly weighs a lot. Phosphoric acid better than muriatic.
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

Quote Originally Posted by Leland View Post
    I have had the same issue with 2 heads recently. The first was shell growth in the exit opening. I cleared it with a long screwdriver and it works perfectly now. The second was a plastic bottle of some type fell into the bowl and was flushed down (long story, rough trip to Bahamas with my brothers, think “Animal House”). I opened the waste end of the pump and (to my surprise) the stator was full of plastic chunks so I replaced that, still wouldn’t pump. I removed the waste hose at the pump, ran it in bucket as OP described and it still would not go (apparently these pumps are very sensitive to any type of obstruction on the waste side.) The remaining plastic debris had lodged in the 1st 90 degree elbow that exits the pump, I cleared that and it works great now. Man these pumps are tough. Also - Are you absolutely sure that last valve is open? Maybe you got lucky and didn’t have to purge all 40’.

As many have noted, RAZ is great to work with and have less expensive pumps. At the suggestion of one of the techs working on my heads I decided to buy the last 2 directly from Galley Maid. Yes, they are 30% or so more expensive but they are *much* quieter and function SO much better I think it is worth it. They also have a service rep named Earnie who is almost always accessible by phone and patiently walked me through the entire process including the stator replacement, which I had never done before. Just FYI... I’m not knocking RAZ, they do a great job and are great to deal with, but I think GM original is a significantly higher quality out the door and has same level of support.
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL