Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

9’ whaler vs 11’

Looking for a 11’ Whaler as a tow behind tender. Of course all I can find Are 9’s and 13’s. 13 is too big. Is the 9 footer stable with 2 adults in it? Just mainly concerned with boarding off the swim platform. It will only be used for short distance runs and towed in overall calm weather.

Re: 9’ whaler vs 11’

I have an 11 with a 20 hp johnrude. It's small for a tow behind but works in calm water. 9 is definitely small.

I may consider selling.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I wouldn't trust a 9' with two, I would be uneasy in a 11' with two unless its with a skinny blonde. My slip neighbor has an 11 and it's sits very very low with just him. He is thinking of selling for that reason.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

I have a 1975 11' Whaler (bought new--match that, inflatables!) with a four-stroke Yamaha 15. I am afraid I do not remember ever towing it at cruise speed, 16 kts. and up. I sometimes do at hull speed but then I have to have someone tending the painter when I reverse. Mostly I winch it up behind my flybridge where it is stable and I don't have to worry about my backing up or it being stolen. It is fast with one adult, planes with two. I have snorkeled with four in reasonably sheltered waters (Harbour I. Sound). The Yamaha replaces a Johnson 15 that was stolen. It's much heavier so I wish I had gotten a 20 hp or somewhat larger.

The Whaler is the third dinghy for Fanfare. Its stability more than makes up for its rough ride. Great for kids. My early model is a bit short on storage space so I added a lockable bin under the main seat for stuff like flares and handheld VHF. Things can get wet here so have to use waterproof bags and equipment. It has been a great boat. Any chance you could mount one up front?
    Last edited by Fanfare; 12-24-2018 at 05:22 PM.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

I have owned a 9', two 11', and two 13' Whalers. The 9' is small and only rated for a 5hp. It will not plane. The 11' is much more boat. And the 13' is perfect for fishing, water skiing, and handles four adults with ease. Just my 2 cents on the matter.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I bought a 9’ but after taking it on a few test runs I sold it never putting it into service, way too tippy and small. I settled on a J12 and have been very happy, very stable and doesn’t ride any harder than a whaler imho. Plenty of room for the admiral and I plus two 50lb dogs, runs fine with a 20hp.
    1988 Canoe Cove 53 "Lilo Honu"
    1984 Outrage Whaler 22 "Conchyjodyoos"
    Previously owned Hatt 36c

Not going to take it on long trips so only going to be a tow behind. We live in an area that has lots of little beaches and want a way to anchor out in safe deep water and get us and the pooches to dry land.

Scott, what are you looking for on yours if you sell it?

Merry Christmas all!

I'll talk to the kid and let you know.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I feel the 13 ft. Boston Whaler is the greatest small boat ever. Just too heavy and long for flybridge mounting on a 50 ft. oceangoing Hatteras so I had to compromise on the 11.

If you are going to tow anyway why not just get the 13 footer? Should give you the best of both worlds. Plus they are available.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

I towed our 13 from place to place when it was calm, it did get a bit squirrely when I went too fast. There are a bunch more 13 's a round and as someone else said if your gonna tow anyhow go bigger. I would not tow anything smaller than that 13 ..........Pat