Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

We want a boat ! floating condo trawler type or? may trade...

Have an awesome car to trade and cash too...I can send more pics....
    747 (19).jpg1328 (8).jpg747 (4).jpg

We are looking for a nice boat, 36' +floating condo. Plan to keep the boat for a couple years and hopefully move up.

We have a 14 year old daughter homeschooled, and I want her to have privacy, so a double cabin is required, diesels, and a large salon with plenty of light is preferred. I like the Hatteras 42 double cabin, Mainship , Carver 39, and classic lines of many Trawlers. We want a "name brand" boat that can be sold in the future.... Were really not brand picky or too specific we just like nice things...

I want to take it to either Stuart Florida area, or Tampa, not afraid to move it from where you have it now....but of course needs to make financial sense.

I have cash and also a very quality built restomod Bel-Air, and thought most boat guys are car guys , maybe a trade could work, at least for the down payment as I can add $$ .....however we do have a budget so 'm looking in the 120k type range or less if a nice example of a boat can be found , my car cost 140k to build but we will of course be taking a haircut here....Yes it has a chopped top and suicide doors,air conditioning too....the best of the best...

Were just fishin....but serious buyers or traders...let me know if this is of any interest, and any sharing thoughts you may have.

Re: We want a boat ! floating condo trawler type or? may trade...

A slip neighbor is selling his 50 something Chris craft MY for around $100k in NJ. Might be better to go big than take smaller steps. I'll try to find the link for ya.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    A slip neighbor is selling his 50 something Chris craft MY for around $100k in NJ. Might be better to go big than take smaller steps. I'll try to find the link for ya.
    Thank You, look forward to seeing some boats soon, heading to Stuart Florida in a few days to look around

Regards

Thumbs up We want a boat ! floating condo trawler type or? may trade...

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    I would like more information on this!

We've looked at a couple of 90s Chris-Craft 501 Motor Yachts, but I don't remember seeing one in NJ on Yacht World or Boat Trader...

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Stripes; 12-23-2018 at 07:44 PM.
    Hard work pays off in the future.
    Laziness, pays off now!

It might help if you explain more of what you intend to do with the boat. Were you planning on having the boat as a floating condo for months at a time? If so, you will want to research marina's that allow living aboard, pricing and availability.

If living aboard, you could start by looking at a Hatteras Motor Yacht and go down from there.

Something like this?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...dard%20listing

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...nced%20listing

The problem will be finding someone wiling to trade.

Might be best to put the car for sale / auction etc while beginning a search for boats.

You are correct that many boat fanatics are also automobile fanatics but I think finding the right boat from somebody willing to trade is a needle in a haystack.

The purchase of your boat might be subject to a significant sales tax so that is another thing to research.
    Last edited by Bayside Bert54; 12-23-2018 at 07:46 PM.

Sales tax is a fact of life. In Florida you pay it if you bring the boat here and didnt pay it elsewhere.

There are specific tax rates and limits for that.

I see a lot of people spending $100,000 or more trying to get out of a $6,000 tax bill all the time. If you cant pay it, dont but it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Bert54 View Post
    It might help if you explain more of what you intend to do with the boat. Were you planning on having the boat as a floating condo for months at a time? If so, you will want to research marina's that allow living aboard, pricing and availability.

If living aboard, you could start by looking at a Hatteras Motor Yacht and go down from there.

Something like this?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...andard listing

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...hanced listing

The problem will be finding someone wiling to trade.

Might be best to put the car for sale / auction etc while beginning a search for boats.

You are correct that many boat fanatics are also automobile fanatics but I think finding the right boat from somebody willing to trade is a needle in a haystack.

The purchase of your boat might be subject to a significant sales tax so that is another thing to research.
    Thanks Bert, Your correct it is likey I'll just wholesale the car and use the money to find a good deal on a boat, maybe i find a boat that someone put as much work into as the car.....
    The Hatteras 53 extended deck would be very very high on my wish list, that one looks great. I am just getting started in our quest, no hurry as I want to make sound decisions.
    The sales tax is what it is, maybe theres ways around it? not sure haven't looked at that issue, here in S.C. we have small tax to purchase, but have to pay personal tax every year.
    We won't be living aboard as I still work, but have time to enjoy , and work some from the boat.
    Thanks for your input,greatly appreciated

WOW, lots of boat , looks like it would work very well ....thanks for sharing

In many states theres a fee for boats that are registered elsewhere but stay in that state. Keep that in mind. Boating is not free.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.