Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Vacuflush plumbing

I am installing new vacuflush toilets in the two heads and will be running them both off a new 4th generation vacuum generator. I want to install a discharge pump that will allow me to discharge the tanks overboard as well. Here is a drawing of my plan for plumbing TO the tanks. Where I am a little undecided/unsure is plumbing from the tanks to discharge overboard. My present plumbing has overboard discharge but its only meant to discharge directly from the head overboard. What would be the best means to tap into the holding tanks to plumb to overboard thru-hull?
    Last edited by ageless; 12-19-2018 at 11:27 AM.

Re: Vacuflush plumbing

Tee your macerator pump off of the pump out line to a through hull. Make sure you put a shut off on it with a lock or one that you can remove the handle on. Its required when in coastal waters that it be disabled.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

A three way valve mounted in a easy accessible spot. I had the CG recommend that I lock, pin or wire the valve to tank side while in a no discharge zone.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

First I would remove the direct discharge as you can only using 3 miles offshore. Easier t send all heads to the tank and use a macerator when offshore. Simple plumbing and fewer holes

If your tank only has the dip tube for the pump out fitting, then you need to put a Y valve on the hose goin from the deck fitting and plumb the discharge pump to the Y send the output to the old direct discharge thru hull

The best pump for the job is a sealand bellow pump. Basically a vacuflish pump withbonly one pair of duckbills More & than the jabsco impeller pump but well worth it. The impeller macerators can’t run dry

As to the USCG “recommending” locking the y valve or sea cock within 3 nm of shore or within places like the Cheasie or LIS, it s rule not a recommendation. Most of the time they will cite you or if you re lucky give you a warning. As an alternative you can use a key switch (but don’t leave the key in...)
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    I am installing new vacuflush toilets in the two heads and will be running them both off a new 4th generation vacuum generator. I want to install a discharge pump that will allow me to discharge the tanks overboard as well. Here is a drawing of my plan for plumbing TO the tanks. Where I am a little undecided/unsure is plumbing from the tanks to discharge overboard. My present plumbing has overboard discharge but its only meant to discharge directly from the head overboard. What would be the best means to tap into the holding tanks to plumb to overboard thru-hull?

Maybe it’s just me but I cannot see a drawing.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Maybe it’s just me but I cannot see a drawing.
    It's not you, I can't get it to post correctly

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Tee your macerator pump off of the pump out line to a through hull. Make sure you put a shut off on it with a lock or one that you can remove the handle on. Its required when in coastal waters that it be disabled.
    I have dual tanks so would you recommend adding a valve between the pump out line(s) and the macerator to switch from one tank to the other? Or just allow the macerator to pull waste from whichever it decides? I would think I would HAVE to valve it to produce enough vacuum to pull from the tank that has waste in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    First I would remove the direct discharge as you can only using 3 miles offshore. Easier t send all heads to the tank and use a macerator when offshore. Simple plumbing and fewer holes

If your tank only has the dip tube for the pump out fitting, then you need to put a Y valve on the hose goin from the deck fitting and plumb the discharge pump to the Y send the output to the old direct discharge thru hull
    I'm struggling to understand your suggestion

I am finally able to start working on the vacuflush conversion project and need a little insight. The fwd GM head sits on a pedestal that runs the discharge pipes vertically through the wall, into the back end of a cabinet and down to the bilge where the pump is mounted. My new VF head is a bottom discharge but I can’t visulaize the space below the head due to design. The new head won’t fit in the old pedestal or I’d install that way. Does anyone know what occupies the size below? The area where the old head was mounted is all one piece of fiberglass.

I have two heads on my vessel with two independent systems. I think I have the VG4 Vacuflush. In my effort to get them functioning properly, I realized that the sealand vacuflush has two separate motors (one for each head). What I mean by that is, the motors / pumping units are not the same models. Apparently, one is a discharge pump and the other is just a regular pump. The systems seem to be run the same was on both port and starboard and each have their own vacuum canister. My questions are: 1) Does it matter which side discharge pump is on (since both systems appear to go to the holding tank 2) what’s the difference between a discharge pump and a regular vacuum pump? I noticed the discharge pump is white and the regular vacuum pump is black. Confusing. Also, where can you buy the rubber seal that is installed at the vacuum canister? Everything I’ve found shows you have to buy the entire switch assembly, which is about $175-$200 each. The switch is fine, but the rubber gasket that connects to the pressure switch has dry rotted. Thanks!

I believe the discharge pump only has one pair of duckbills, the vacuum pump has two pairs (one on each side) to hold vacuum
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat