Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Perko cork gaskets don't fit on water strainer lid model 858e

Y’all are very kind. That template was my father’s.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I have some of those from my drafting classes in college. I think they all use computers now but maybe the engineering supply stores still carry them. I may be one of the few left in my area that has to have paper plans to bid or build a job. I used to love the ammonia smell of a fresh set of prints.

All of your suggestions are excellent. If you want to use the cork ones, throw them in a pot of hot water for a while. If they really are the correct ones, they will swell to correct size.

I re-did the Perko lids on my boat. I bought a roll of cork gasket and cut out the circles as required. In future though, I would go the same route as Skycheney and use the red rubber gasket material.
    Something in your photo doesn't look right. The gasket in your picture looks too small in diameter. On my lids, the gasket goes right against the outer lip of the lid, as is shown by the red shaded area in the photo. That is where the gasket on my lids sits.
    Attached Images
    Gary
    1984 53' MY Hull #625
    "JACE"

Gasket cutter... ws

WebImage_ALP1.JPG
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

I bought the sheets of rubber and cork gasket material and then took the plastic strainer container and placed an end on the material. Get a fine tipped pen and trace around the inside and outside of the container end then get a good pair if scissors and cut carefully so you can still see the pen line. perfect sized gaskets every time. never had a leak and the cost to make the gasket was less than $1. the other option is to get rid if the perko type strainers inside the engine room and replace them with Buck Algonquin rectangular external strainers. I did that two years ago and love the results. More space in my engine room and no strainers to clean.
    Mark
    Lake of the Woods]
    1989 40 DC, hull #377

Mark,

Are these the type of external box rectangular strainers that you mean?

strainer.jpg

OK for salt water environments with barnacle growth? Can they be antifoulded and also scraped by a diver? ie. is the stainless grill robust?

I would happily do away with most of the small Perko strainers. What orientation would you mount them for a watermaker and aircons? Low end towards bow?

Scott.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 12-28-2018 at 07:03 PM.

Hi Scott,

Yes those are the strainers i mean. Now I am in a fresh water enviroment but my understanding is they work very well in salt and brackish water. Maybe some other HOF members who have them can speak to their experience.
    Mark
    Lake of the Woods
    1989 40 DC Hull #377

I don’t know what models or for what periods, but my boat uses the OEM screens for the engine raw water intakes. Therefore, no sea strainers on those. No issues with those high demand applications. But you need a diver to clean them. I think I’d prefer to control my destiny (strainers) for the AC at least given boat spends more time tied up than underway.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

They're one of the best things I've ever done to my boat. Got rid of 50 lbs of hardware and water in the ER and made some extra space. No issues in salt water, they clean easily, but if you actually use the boat they rarely need cleaning. Mine are solid bronze, but I doubt that makes much difference. I only have them on the engines at this point, although I will probably add them to the A/C in the future. Not necessary on the head. Yes, they face narrow end forward, and be warned they cannot be used on generators.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375