Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Is this off enough to cause transmission failure

Attached is picture of my port intermediate strut with a laser alignment being done. Can the forum tell from the photo if this is far enough out to cause a transmission failure. Last year my ZF 350 on the port side cracked its case. It was after a long trip where I had been seeing shaft occilation. Had new ZF 360s installed as they don’t make the 350 anymore. After replacement still had a small occilation on the port side. So took oil samples of both gears and they came up normal. But I still wanted the laser alignment and sure enough they found this situation which I think existed since the boat was made. It is a 95 54 Viking. Thanks for your time.
    Attached Images

Re: Is this off enough to cause transmission failure

Quote Originally Posted by motoryacht lover View Post
    Attached is picture of my port intermediate strut with a laser alignment being done. Can the forum tell from the photo if this is far enough out to cause a transmission failure. Last year my ZF 350 on the port side cracked its case. It was after a long trip where I had been seeing shaft occilation. Had new ZF 360s installed as they don’t make the 350 anymore. After replacement still had a small occilation on the port side. So took oil samples of both gears and they came up normal. But I still wanted the laser alignment and sure enough they found this situation which I think existed since the boat was made. It is a 95 54 Viking. Thanks for your time.
    When you use terms like oscillation and cracked transmission case, yeah that more than enough.

Take a look at this link: https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...-Viking-Yachts
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

It s hard to see in the picture. Alignment on the hard can be tricky. i had a similar issue on my 53 during the repower as the struts were not lined up close enough. In order to eliminate any issue related to blocking, we plugged the holes, put the boat back in the water for 36 hours, placed some reference marks on the hull then hauled out, made sure the reference marks hadn’t moved. Then we had to move the aft strut to get it all lined up perfectly.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thank you both for the responses. I tried to edit the post after posting when I saw that the laser dot didn’t show in the picture. It is about 3/16ths straight above the center.