Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Aft deck windows

My aft deck enclosure(eisenglass) is in need of repairs and updating. I am considering going with some kind of solid replacements vs canvas and plastic. Im Thinking to replace what I have is gonna cost $3-5k so I like to cry once pay once. Has anyone here had it done? I would need the center to open for swim platform and ladder access. I currently have the sliders on the sides for those days when a breeze is wanted. Later in the year I have to redo my front windshields as they tend to leak and might look into replacing them with some "lookout boat windows" if it's not too big a hit on my wallet, re bedding them is much cheaper but labor intensive.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Re: Aft deck windows

IMG_0943.pdf
    I used sheets of plexiglass to create an aft deck enclosure for our 43DC and have been pleased with the results.
    If you are interested I can provide more information.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

I bought my 53 with a plexiglass aft deck enclosure.
    It warped very badly in the Florida sun
    Ian w

Yeah I wouldn't use plexiglass. When I was boat searching I saw a few on yachtworld that had the solid windows instead of the enclosure but not in person. I figured someone here might have had thiers redone and could give me some ideas.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

I did a full Plexiglas enclosure on my aft deck, it works pretty good however 3 years in the plexiglass is starting to craze. I used tinted plexiglass and I asked about the crazing and the place I bought it from said that all the tinted stuff comes from China now and is not very good. Not sure if that is just this one dealer or all tinted plexiglass. So I am going to keep it for another year and the decide what to do. It is also a pain to keep clean without scratching it. I am for sure going to use glass on the side window next time, but I am afraid that glass panels on the aft end would be to heavy. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I have considered the same thing the, my last eisenglass was $4,000 and I have hard sides already. A boat I saw that had a complete hard enclosure is, or was, " Admiralty", a YF. Admiralty was in the Gulf, Alabama or Mississippi I think. Some glass work was to get the enclosure more vertical. I recalled I liked liking it, but had no interest then.

I also think the window layout for a MY would need to be on mote or a angle learning forward A YF could be more veeticle, with out ruining the lines, just my perception.

If someone has photos to share that would be great.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Here is an enclosure done at Walstrom Marine in Harbor Springs, MI in the 80's. This is from the kit which I believe they used to purchase from Wilkins in Annapolis.
    Attached Images
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

a few more
    Attached Images
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

What a beautiful job, do you have any photos of the outside profile.

Do you recall who made the corner windows and material?
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Sky, are the stern windows glass or plexiglass? John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.