Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Shore Power inlet on 53 MY

We were planning on swapping one of inlets to a new Smart Plug yesterday but when we went to remove the existing inlet the screws just turned as if they had a nut behind them. Before I remove the roughly 12 screws that appear to hold the entire cover on, am I missing something or is that the only way to get the existing outlet off?
    Thanks!
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

Re: Shore Power inlet on 53 MY

Quote Originally Posted by Oldlaxer1 View Post
    We were planning on swapping one of inlets to a new Smart Plug yesterday but when we went to remove the existing inlet the screws just turned as if they had a nut behind them. Before I remove the roughly 12 screws that appear to hold the entire cover on, am I missing something or is that the only way to get the existing outlet off?
    Thanks!
    They are held on with nuts. Take off the interior panel to reveal the backside
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

This is a great example of why Rusty's idea of putting the boat's "hull number" was a brilliant idea. The change from putting the outlets on the toe rail side to the pilothouse side was mid-year 1979.

Good point Tom.

I had opened up the interior panel and did see the metal enclosure but didn't see a way to remove it. I'll look closer tonight.
    John Novotny
    Baltimore, MD

Quote Originally Posted by tom5518 View Post
    This is a great example of why Rusty's idea of putting the boat's "hull number" was a brilliant idea. The change from putting the outlets on the toe rail side to the pilothouse side was mid-year 1979.
    Thanks for the complement.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Taking off the panel inside the boat allows me to see what appears to be an aluminum box surrounding the connections but no way to remove it that I can see especially since the main cables come through the bottom.
    John Novotny
    Baltimore, MD

You have to remove the aluminum plate that holds the plugs and fuses from the outside. And don't be surprised when you see no neutral wire on those plugs as you don't need it with isolation transformers.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI