Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

8-71 TI intercoolers

Pulled the intercoolers after an exhaust leak and didnt like what i saw, turbos looked ok but rusty fins on the air side of coolers
    As we know these puppys arnt cheap to replace, which leads me to asking this question, I know that they cool the air in the combustion chamber for denser air and more power but how much power would be reduced if i ran the engine with out them?
    Thinking it woud affect top end performance But by how much? any ideas

Re: 8-71 TI intercoolers

Clean the cores first and have them evaluated. You can't "just eliminate" them without doing other re-engineering.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Intercooler keep the combustion temps down which in turn keeps your cylinder's from self destructing. If you never run harf and habe pyro gauges you might get away with it but nit really worth it.Lenco coolers has the best price on them that i could find.
    1978 60C "Reel Action" Hull number 4 (304), 1986 36 Sedan "El Dorado" Hull Number 24 (324)

4. Re: 8-71 TI intercoolers

All things being equal, intercoolers and/or aftercoolers actually increase the combustion chamber temperature and pressure over an uncooled charge due to the increased density of the cooled combustion charge air and the extra fuel the denser charge allows.

I have two clean intercoolers I will sell cheap

Thanks for the replies guys, I soak em in solvent then acid bathed em I think there all right I rigged up a pressure gauge and put 35 on em with no visible leaks so ill put them back on
    Thanks for your advice